Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

03 Kodiak 400 Stalling Out

17K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  hammer07 
#1 ·
After some of the ruffer riding this machine has seen, was letting the nephews ride it, here are some pics of the ride on Sat

Well after about 15 min after running through that mud hole, they were goofing around riding a little fast over some ruff terrain, then all of a sudden it started stalling out around 1/4 throttle, my first thought was some water somewhere where it should not have been tore a few things apart and put some di-electric grease in the connections, did not seem to help, so I replaced the plug in case they fouled it out some how (Been 3 years on the same plug)- no help. Drained the bowl on the carb did not seem dirty. So I guess I am wondering how to determine if it is a fuel issue or a spark issue. It has been two days and thought if it were a water issue it would have gone away by now.

Any thoughts or Ideas would be great, maybe some one has had this happen.

See less See more
#2 ·
Greg, It is common for the intake boot to crack on this model. It may not be obivous if it is unless it is removed from the cylinder head. The rubber delaminates from the aluminum. Usually causes rough idle and poor performance.

Could also be improper float height, sticky choke plunger or choke cable.

On the ignition side it could be a bad spark plug, or bad ground at the coil.

#3 ·
Thanks Timmi just a little more info seems to Idle just fine its only when its under throttle that it runs bad but I will be sure to check out those things you have mentioned. The choke sounds interesting as it does seem to run like the choke being closed.

#4 ·
how old was the fuel that was sitting in it, and how long was it in there? Something might have gotten gunked up in or around the needle jet... That would make them run pretty crappy.
On the bright side; you can blame the kids for it. How would they know any different?? Have them bring you tools, hold the flashlight and get you barley-pops during the surgery!

#5 ·
you could check the spark with a timing light. put the inductive pick up around the plug wire and aim the light at something you can see clearly (sheet of paper, the floor, etc.) start the bike and rev the engine. if it is a spark problem the light will flash erratically. if it is fuel, then the spark should be uniform and consistent with rpm.

even if it is fuel, if the engine cuts out, the spark will fluctuate with engine speed. whereas if spark is the problem, you should see the diference in the light before you see or hear it in the bike, if that makes sense.

#6 ·
Thanks Hammer as soon as I get a chance to work on it I will be checking that out, I have got to get these transmission gear shift apparatus, and brake and throttle covers done before the natives get restless.

#7 ·
Got the wifes Kodiak running today found the while the bike was stalling out around 1/2 throttle if I opened up the choke it started to run normal. Talked with the local Yami mechanic and he told me to much air (like Timmi suggested) or not enough fuel. So I ripped her down, and took the carb off and sure enough some dirt down in the bowl and after I put it back together purred like a kitten. Thanks for your help Timmi and Hammer, after choking and running good I kinda figured it was not an ignition type of problem so I did not have to do the timing light thing.

#8 ·
glad you got it going! soon as i can get a schedule worked out with wolfer, we'll be down to check out that mud in person!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.