Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello...I'm new to the group and glad to be here. My question is if anyone else has had problems or knows of someone thats had problems with the rear cv joints. I've just recently broken the right rear outboard cv. I ordered parts from Yamaha a couple of weeks ago just expecting the parts to replace the cv and stub shaft but low and behold it's the whole darned axle! That must explain the $240 price tag...Anyway they sent me the wrong side...the left and right are different lengths...so I should be up and going in another few days.

Thanks, Dave

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
No CV problems on my '02. It seems that the '03s are the ones with the problems... and they fixed it in '04. That's what sucks becuase you know they'll never "correct" it for current '03 owners.

Best thing you can do IMO is to not use Yamaha parts, but to use Gorilla Axles or some similar to them.

Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey superdave welcome, I have not had any problems as of yet with my 04 Grizzly. If I were you I would look into the part numbers for these rear axles and see if you are getting the new axle for an 04 if not, go with the Gorilla axle much more beefier set up. If mine go I will go the Gorilla route myself. I have seen on other boards that one guy replaced 4 Yamaha axles before going to a Gorilla in 6 months of riding. He also owned an 03. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello everyone nice to check out an all Grizzly forum.As for axles&cv I have had no problem with mine, on my late o2, or my present 04.The word I hear is Yamaha had a bad batch of these in the 03 models(Grizzly)but of course they would not recall or address this problem.Personnelly I would also look into the Gorilla ones as I believe that would be the better product. I hope you are up and running soon, good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Superdave,

One of the guys that rides with us broke the same CV last time out. He has 28" tires on his and the shocks are set at the tightest setting, which is why I think he had trouble. Also, he rides it extremely rough. I have a 2003 grizzly with 27" ITP Mudlights. Fortunately, I haven't had any trouble as of yet. I do see where someone is making "car quality" CV axles. The price from Highlifter.com was about $350 each.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks for all the info guys. I went ahead and got the replacement from Yamaha mainly because of the cheaper price than the Gorillas...you know...x-mas and all. If it happens again I will go with the Gorillas though. I've got about 700 miles on the quad with the stock tires and only recently got a set of 25" itp 589's which may have 50 miles on them. I don't think thats the reason it broke either, seeing how I put the stock tires back on for a trip to the dunes where it broke. Thanks again.

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dave: You can also get the Gorilla rebuild kit for a lot less.

The axle itslef is very seldom broken.

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
We bought (2) 2004 Grizzly's and both of them are in right now for rear CV's. They are only 2 monthes old and both have less than 400 miles on them and are still under warranty. I ride one and my wife rides the other. They have stock tires and we dont ride hard. I really hope this is not going to be a problem. When I get them back i'm going to write Yamaha and see what they say about the problem. Other than that they are a blast to ride.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Quadcrazy.. I was just wondering were you guys doing anything for them to finaly break or they just go while on the trail. I guess im asking what kind of ridding do you and your wife do mostly, just trail ridding in the woods or some rock crawling or what.

Did your dealer say anything why they would have allready went bad like they did or was it just by chance they did. BTW sorry to here about the bad luck, me and my wife have about 130mi with no problems so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All, I don't know how true this is but I have heard that some 03 Cvs where installed on 04 models except for the Camo colors, Yamaha suspected that the Camo quads would be put through tougher terrin then the other colors. Yamahas main objective was to resolve the over heating on the 04 models and didn't quite address the cv problem like they should have. Once again this is what I have heard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Razorroc, no offence, but you have got to be kidding! You would think that a camo machine would spend more time parked under a tree stand, than pounding down the trails. If that is true then Yamaha would be better off picking by going eeny, meeny, miny, moe.......instead of trying to determine the degree of usage by color. I am a little curious as to wether you consider the source of your info reputable.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I've always wished they'd offer a REAL camo color... not RealTree Hardwood or Mossy Oak, but REAL military camo... especially the new pixelized pattern introduced by the US Marines last year.

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
James, I don't know if you'd call my source reliable. He was a Arctic cat dealer. When I was looking for a quad I was considering a few brands. This man told me he used to work for Yamaha but quit because his customers were always bringing back their machines with a problem. He told me if I would buy a Yamaha to make sure I got one of the camo models. I decided on a Grizzly and did buy the camo not only because of what he said but I also hunt. Anyway I did ask my salesman if Jim, my source, was still around and he said he had left the dealer ship a few months prior. So I do know he did work for a Yamaha dealer, but don't know how reliable his information is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Razorroc, thanks for getting back about your source, I literally laughed out loud when I read that he is an Arctic cat dealer. Anyway it sounds like he had your best interests im mind recommending the camo model. The ground clearance and IRS on the Arctic cat are impressive, but the borrowed engine kind of turned me off of them. Bottom line is, you made the right choice going with the Grizzly!

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have broke 3 different cv joints on mine. took it to the shop yesterday and they tried telling if it is one that has already been replaced it is no longer under warranty but the rest of the bike is. who are they kidding?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts