Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the '05 and '06 SE's are black, has anyone figured out how to lessen the appaerence of the scratch marks?

Or should I go find the thickest, most over-grown area I can find and just get it over with?

My first day out last Saturday and BAM!!! A curved tree stump or thick vine caught the right rear. Not a hugh scratch, maybe about 3 inches long.

Man, I am still feeling the pain.

Not trying to be too anal, but I would very much like to keep the new griz looking new. At least till next summer.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Not much you can do, mine has got scratches and probably everybody else's? I use Plexus cleaner/polish which you can get at most motorcycle shops. The more you get on there the better it protects your finish. It also hides the scratches pretty good. Don't worry about it, just ride and have fun....Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
If a Griz is pretty and clean and the plastics are perfect and shining, it does not mean the rider takes great care of it!
All it means is that he does not ride it, well not like it should be ridden anyway!!

Enjoy it, have pride in the battle scars, they add character!!

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I am with you Beast,

The blue Meanie is looking pretty sad now days but I can tell you I have taken it places most Lads around here would not even think about. I will be giving it a birthday this wet season.

Wrangler, ride it like you want to it will still look great even with a few battle scars.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
462 Posts
i took my bike through the briars the first day,just to get that out of the way

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You just have to ride it and not worry about the scratches. Hopefully you took pictures of it when it was shiney and new. It should never look that way again.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
IN THE BEGINING................

I used to spit and polish my griz into showroom condition, Tyre polish and the works, it used to take me several hours. I was all about the final presentation!

Now I hose off my Griz as if it is a regular maintenance function, i make sure all the mud/sand/stones and sticks are gone, Then I grease and lubricate, and pack her away. It is all about keeping her in good shape for my next ride.

It took me a while to realise that I bought her for the ride and not for keeping on a show room floor!!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How come when I look at all of you pictures that have been posted, I don't see the battle (cry) scars.

I guess the camera does not pick those up to well.

Hoo probably has the best idea and get it over on the first ride.

From what I have seen on my griz, the black really shows these scratches.

Even if I don't say it in some of my post, I am always thinking "Thanks to everyone who has posted a comment on this". REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The red does not show up the scratches like the black does, You are right there.

Some of my pictures are older than a year, I was still polishing then!!

look at the lion picture, that is as cleean as my griz gets now!!

The black foot/floor boards are now grey from the scratches!!

I have only fallen once on my Griz, I was in soft sand and the griz stopped on the front bumper (I went flying) so I have not broken anything yet. I have just got some real scratches, som are 4mm deep and 10cm long, from branches and fences that got in my way whilst I was having some fun.

My red Griz never looked as good as the Limited SE, even when it was brand new!!

But now that it is old, 20 months and 7000km later, it is pretty scratched up. Mainly fine scratches that make the colour look dull!

·
Registered
462 Posts
thats why i went with green,,,,i always had green,and every bike ive seen with a differant color,it seems to accent the scratchs,,,,you get use to them,and you wont even think about it after a while

·
Registered
21 Posts
I here yea on the scratches deal. I had a long though about what to do also. My Conclusion: I made the purchase to get full of mud, climb hills, drag my deer out of the high country, all around have a great time with the machine. Don’t worry man just go out and have fun. I don't recommend going through the thickets with the machine just yet but let the scratches happen as they come. Good luck man and Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I know what you mean also on the scratches I feel the same way **** had ours for two years or so now and still feel the same but I try not to get them as scratched as possible but if I have to to make it through something I just go for it and well just clean it up the best I can when I get back home and tell my self sure had fun though. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
i rolled mine on its side ten minutes after getting it off the truck. i am not worried about scratches or washing it to make it look pretty. i only spray off the thick mud from the strip mines around here cause it stinks. most of the time i either just let god wash it or take it through the hazzard county carwash.

·
Registered
462 Posts
your name aint Bo,or Luke is it? if it is i want your sister

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I'de cut off an apendage to spend a day in the mud with Gretchin Willson.

·
Registered
81 Posts
are you serious? that the 06 grizz 660's are black? YES!!!! that means i should be getting a black one now... was going for green but i like the black better. i dont care bout the scratches on my suzuki as it is 20 years old...

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
There is a silicone spray that I saw in a Motocross magazine that you spray on NEW plastic that actually penetrates the plastic and fills in the pores. It doesn't prevent scratches, but it keeps the plastic looking shiney even after you have given it a couple mud baths.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts