Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I just purchased a 98 Grizzly 600 it's always been adult owned and rode. P.O to me got it from a guy that just left out at his hunting lease and only used it for hunting. P.O I got it from is a older gentleman and it has just mainly been sitting out in his barn not getting used all that often.

Issues I'd like a lil help with

Runs great when cold once warmed up it slowly starts sputtering out the warmer it gets.
Looking at the spark plug it's black I replaced it it got better but not really. I'm not sure if I should lean it out or if valves need adjusting. I haven't messed with ATV's a whole lot so I don't know much about them. But should I try leaning the carb out or adjusting the valves first?

Front differential actuator not working I think that may just be the switch though I hear the switch click but nothing else.

Starter sounds like it's hanging up for about 10 seconds or so after the motor has started. Starter is not staying energized. Just makes a god awful racket for about 10 seconds.

Thanks for any help and Information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can only offer something to ck out about the starter, remove the seat and inspect the wiring harness on the right side. I had issues with my starter that I finally tracked down to an intermittent short, the wiring harness on my 99’ 600 is poorly run along the frame, with age the insulation had worn off a couple of wires.
Mine destroyed the starter and flywheel teeth.
on the carb. I think I’d give it a good cleaning and check the float and float needle, maybe it’s slightly flooding?
Good luck, they’re great machines.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can only offer something to ck out about the starter, remove the seat and inspect the wiring harness on the right side. I had issues with my starter that I finally tracked down to an intermittent short, the wiring harness on my 99’ 600 is poorly run along the frame, with age the insulation had worn off a couple of wires.
Mine destroyed the starter and flywheel teeth.
on the carb. I think I’d give it a good cleaning and check the float and float needle, maybe it’s slightly flooding?
Good luck, they’re great machines.

Mike
Thanks I'll check it all out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m no mechanic but I made the same purchase about a year ago. In bringing it back to perfect working orders my 1st fix was to the carburetor, a good cleaning and new float which was cracked. Also from sitting the float of the gas gauge had deteriorated and got into the fuel line and carburetor. I would inspect, clean and rebuild the gas tank if necessary. You don’t want to clean the carburetor and reintroduce crappy dirty fuel. I also had some intermittent electrical issues that after trying new plug, coil, CDI box and all came down to the poorly routed main harness. It had melted between the frame and exhaust. I repaired and rerouted it. I didn’t do it all alone. It took time and help because like I said I’m no mechanic. I can tell you that it was worth every ounce of energy spent. The machine is an absolute beast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts