Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '98 Grizzly occasionally makes a popping or clunking noise when backing up, especially under a load. This started after I backed up a heavy load of dirt on a trailer. Anyone have any idea what may have happened and what it's going to take to fix it? Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 grizzly 660, interco Interforce 30x8x12, 2mm shim, epi white,bbk, raptor cam,kw valve train
7 Posts
My '98 Grizzly occasionally makes a popping or clunking noise when backing up, especially under a load. This started after I backed up a heavy load of dirt on a trailer. Anyone have any idea what may have happened and what it's going to take to fix it? Thanks.
Sounds like a axle shaft, get whole machine off the ground and wiggle each wheel back and forth and see which cv has the most play in it, probably gonna be the one that needs replaced. Or you can keep running it till it gets worse and you will know for sure that way... Just realized urs is a 600 with solid rear axle, what end if machine is the pop coming from? Could also be a an axle popping inside the splined hub.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a axle shaft, get whole machine off the ground and wiggle each wheel back and forth and see which cv has the most play in it, probably gonna be the one that needs replaced. Or you can keep running it till it gets worse and you will know for sure that way... Just realized urs is a 600 with solid rear axle, what end if machine is the pop coming from? Could also be a an axle popping inside the splined hub.
It has been a while since I ran it, but I believe the noise was coming from the rear end. If it's the axle popping inside the splined hub, is that an expensive fix? Is it something that a moderate diyer could work on. I just got finished redoing my 40 year old Troy Bilt Horse tiller transmission, so I'm not afraid to tackle something like that as long as I have some sort of shop manual to guide me.

·
Registered
2002 grizzly 660, interco Interforce 30x8x12, 2mm shim, epi white,bbk, raptor cam,kw valve train
7 Posts
Sounds like a axle shaft, get whole machine off the ground and wiggle each wheel back and forth and see which cv has the most play in it, probably gonna be the one that needs replaced. Or you can keep running it till it gets worse and you will know for sure that way... Just realized urs is a 600 with solid rear axle, what end if machine is the pop coming from? Could also be a an axle popping inside the splined hub
It has been a while since I ran it, but I believe the noise was coming from the rear end. If it's the axle popping inside the splined hub, is that an expensive fix? Is it something that a moderate diyer could work on. I just got finished redoing my 40 year old Troy Bilt Horse tiller transmission, so I'm not afraid to tackle something like that as long as I have some sort of shop manual to guide me.
A haynes or clymer manual would step you right thru it, not too hard, hardest part is finding exactly what issue is, hate throwing parts at something cause u think that's what's wrong. Could be a bearing in rear diff, could be actual shaft that goes from trans to rear end. I'd attempt to lock all the brakes and have someone give throttle in either reverse or forward while u listen to try and pin point the popping noise. Not the safest, but hard to replicate unless there is a load on machine by the sound of how u described it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts