Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got and installed my 2" exhaust mod from ebay today.will i need to rejet?i looked but didn't find anything on that.
sounds great,i can't wait to ride it this weekend!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
bluevette87
you do not need to rejet (the griz is naturally rich any way) did you do the air filter, did you drill the baffles?

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You don't need to re-jet but keep an eye on your fender, you may get some melting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have 800 miles on my tip. No rejetting or melting.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no drilling(kept spark screen)stock filter.
i will be sure to watch that fender though.thanks all!

·
Registered
43 Posts
hey, where do i find this 2" mod for my 03 griz?

·
Registered
43 Posts
for this 2" tip do i need to drill the baffles out and if so what should i look for before and after i do it. the other thing, is this cheaper and as good as a new exhaust?

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You will find the tip on Ebay. There are 2 types, stainless steel and aluminum. One of them claims to point the tip slightly down to prevent fender melting. Not sure if it's necessary but it's a good selling point.
On the stock tip the spark arrester is spot welded on. You can use a Dremmel Tool and grind the welds off and reuse the spark arrester with the new tip. If you get a long drill bit you can drill some holes in your baffles to increase air flow. This will put you closer to an aftermarket pipe with very little cost but it will be louder.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Marine Griz,

I have the 2" straight one, I at first put heat shield under my fender (I thought it would burn) after about 1000km it took it off (was ripped up from the air flow pressure) now another 1000km later, there is a slight dicolouration of the underside of the plastic, no melt, no warp!!

Aluminium is better, it cools quicker!

You need a very long drill bit (+/- 30cm) to get through both baffles, use a 12mm drill bit and start with 6 holes evenly spaced.

I started with 6 holes, then went to 12, then I sawed my silencer in half, cut out all the baffles with an aceteline torch, welded the silencer back together, refitted the spark arrestor (for back pressure),

I love it like this, but MAN IS IT LOUD!! it makes the sports quads with aftermarket pipes sound like they are blasters with standard pipes on!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it is the straight 2" stainless steel one.i got it on ebay,just search grizzly 660 on ebay and look for it.there are two different ones.aluminum and stainless steel.
the stainless one is cheaper and bigger so thats the one i got.it sounds awsome,i can't wait to ride :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for all the great input i will do this mod right away. i found a deal on tires also. i am on a tight budget but found mudlite xl 4 for $247 new(25"). i think they will do what i need even in 25". i dont want to rob any power or torque from low and slow rockhopping. i need it, i have been in some pucker factor spots. LOL. i will take some pics and post them on my profile soon. i have one more quick question, on clutch kits or spring kits. i would like to get tighter lock-up with the belt while rockhopping. should i get a new clutch or just new stiffer springs. i have read that some of the kits reduce top end but i am not concerned with losing 5-7 mph top end wise. like i said i will keep 25" tires and it seems some kits only recommend using their kits with larger tires. you guys and gals have any knowledge or advice. oh yea one more thing, lower profile seats any ideas where to look. i need a new one and i would like to get a gel or similar that lowers my seat height by 1 or 2 inches. i have seen on motorcycle programs a kit that you can make your own seat pan and then get it covered with some foam and material. its a liquid then turns to a low foaming foam and them hardens over night. i cannot find it though. any thing to reduce some high center of gravity on the griz is a good thing, after all lower center of gravity equals better rockhopping, LOL. this site is the best,marine griz!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Guys, Will this mod. void my factor warranty, If i just put the tip on, and do no drilling?

·
Registered
43 Posts
hey Beast and Bluevette87, i just finished putting on my "new" tip on. and it cost me less than $10. i used a chromed exhaust tip from auto parts store. i cut the old one out and welded part of the new tip in its place. sounds real good and i can now get the front off the ground with hardly any effort at all!! can't wait to ride maybe this weekend! next up airbox vents, need more air! LOL

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Marine, great job, idea on the exhaust tip! If you do a lot of rock crawling you may want to look into some after market rims or wheel spacers? It will definately make your quad less tippy and therefore lower you centre of gravity. My type 4's and the 27" 589's widened the rear about 2 inches on each side. I have never heard of a seat your looking for but don't forget you have your airbox directly below and your side panels. Maybe the best bet would be to remove your cover and then remove some of the factory foam? Good luck.

Firelab, I don't know if that would affect the warranty or not but I would wait until the warranty is up, you don't want to give them any reasons to deny a warranty claim...........Irv

·
Registered
43 Posts
Irv, thanks for the positive feed back. i have looked and found i think some 1" wheel spacers. i forget the site but front and rear for $144. thats the cheapest ive found. if anyone has a better site please let me know. i will stay with 1" at least for now because i am in the process of designing and building a 2 quad over the bed carrier. i need the width to remain close to stock for now so i can get both of my quads on it. i have a camper to tow as well. oh the toys to get to the mountains, LOL. the seat idea is good i will look into a local shop to recover it with less foam and see how it works. catch me later, Marinegriz

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Marine Griz, I thought this could help!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks good Marinegriz,i am glad i could help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
beast that is exactly what i am going to build. i had seen one about two years ago and had been designing from memory but this one seems even lighter. i like how it doesnt sit on the bed rails and the ramps are up out of the way so you can still put riding gear in back of the truck. best of all the truck in the pic is the same kind i own and so i know the measurements are real close to what i can use. thanks alot!! i will build my own because they are asking $1200 for theirs!! i am going to use aluminium for the ramps to save a little more weight. thanks beast! later, Marinegriz.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This site may help on designing. It's a local guys website. I guess he has been doing really well selling these over the bed ATV haulers.
http://www.gatercage.com/GATERCAGE%20PICTURES.htm

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put my 2" tip on today. Broke all three bolts getting the old tip off. I think it was because I did it with the thing still hot. Had to drill them out and tap the holes. Didn't have the right tap, so I had to go buy one. Luckily, I was able to use the original size. I put the spark arrester back in. It sounds good. Not too loud, but you can hear it run now. I did a top speed test with the old tip and then with the new tip.(58 MPH old and 61 MPH new) I was shocked to see a difference like that. Air filter will be the next mod.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts