Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got 20 hours on my machine only 100 miles i am not worroed bout vaules yet my question is what type of oil should i run in the motor synethic? and also do i need to change anything else and if so with with type of oils thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
most people use 10w30 or 20w50 yamalube.i am due for a oil change myself and am going to stick with the factory oils.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
dito on the yamalube. i changed the lube in both differencials just to get the brake in oil out an check for filings plus you never know if a was put together from factory with prop amount,if you do drain diffs be real easy putting the drain plug in just snug not to tight stip easy.yamalube all around my $,o2 bob m

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I was running Amsoil in mine(synthetic) but I switched back to Yamalube because of consumption issues. I am still running synthetic in my diffs and use synthetic grease though. I am a firm believer in Snythetics, just not Amsoil anymore. You do not have enough miles on yours yet IMO to be switching to synthetic but definately drain everything and add fresh stuff (oils that is)Follow your manual and read up on the mtce schedule from Yamaha, follow that and you should not have any issues. Check out this link, it is a great site, it covers everthing you need to know about oil. filters, break-in etc. Good Luck....Irv

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/NewBike.html#BreakIn

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would have the valve clearance checked. My intake valves were on the "tight" side at 0.10 mm @ 20 hours.

Use Yamalube for everything, including 80W GL-4 for final drive and differential, if possible.

Ron

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I myself am a frim believer in syn also but choose not to run it in my Grizz just because of the fact of how much oil it takes and how often I change it. Think the cost does not out weigh the protection you get from syn, although in the winter if you do alot of riding in cold weather it could make a difference in getting the big Grizz started when its 10 deg out.

10W40 Maxima oil here, and yes I would also suggest the diffs getting changed.

Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i should really check the values already???!!!!!!!!!!!!!???

·
Registered
93 Posts
grizzlee,

I you want to be covered under the warranty you should have the valve clearance checked. It is like any maintenance risk you are willing to take on a $6000.00 plus piece of equipment; whatever you are willing to be able to afford if proper maintenance is not followed.

See the thread on valve adjustment on this forum.

Ron

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Grizzlee, are you trying to say "Valves"? not values? With 20 hrs, I personally don't think it is necessary but that is my opinion. Having done mine at 1000 KM's, they were not out by much if any at all? When the quad is difficult to start with the choke, that is a good sign your valves need adjusting. I never did my exhaust valves because of all the guys that said they did them, they were always in spec. Just the intakes tighten up and mostly just the middle valve for some reason? Good Luck........Irv

·
Registered
23 Posts
Iam not mechanicaly inclined my dad taught me how to phone for estimates when it came to fixing things haha. The question I have is what is the going rate in Ontario for the 20 hour maitanence checkup? And what exactly does the twenty hour checkup consist of?

·
Registered
92 Posts
In the USA, it's $150 here in Pa.!!! I do all of my own work except the machining. I got a little over 34 hours on mine, and so far I changed oil twice, and plan to look at the valves at around 50 - 60 hours, or if it gets tough to start. My last machine I went to extremes w/ break in methods, oil changes, and preventitive maintenance, and it honestly lasted no longer before a rebuild that any machine like it. Heck, my first ride on the Grizz, I towed a rider out of the mud!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got the twenty hour check done an one valve was out a thousands of a inch. The dealer I bought off of was trying to stiff me (KORPI'S) in peterboro ontario He qouted me 225 an the co-op yamaha dealer in Madoc Ontario charged me 155.00 out the door. I am learning as I go along The dealer in peterboro was trying to take advantage of my lack og knowledge Brock Norris is his name. Iam learnig alot just from this site. Peace an ride hard

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Glad you made out ok caked, nice to see another Oshonian on here, where abouts in Oshawa do you live, I am in the North end near Taunton and Somerville. Have you ridden around here much? Test Hill, the Ganny, North Humberland, Raglan Pit/Burketon? All pretty decent close places to go for a day ride. What's the riding in Madoc like? We just got a trailer site in Marmora and I have been only out a few times locally, looking forward to getting some more miles on later in the summer/fall. Welcome to the site, glad you found it.......Irv

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well Irv I mainly play in the Bancroft barrys bay whitney algonquin park area. I know alot of cool trails all through there. I am moving to Madoc at the end of the month august. My grizzly is up north. I can come over to marmora via the railway beds an show you some real cool trails I live in the south end of Oshawa for now. There is some not bad riding down here but no comparison to up north bro I can take you from marmora right to north bay via bancroft pembroke petewawa due rivea north bay an then down to haliburton an then back over to bancroft an back down to Marmora if you want takes about four days hehehe

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Sounds like a blast Keith, I bet with the Grizzlies we could knock a day off that trip LOL. I have snowmobiled in all those places you mentioned, it is awesome country to say the least. I would love to atv up there sometime, I am trying to get my buddy, whose in-laws have a cottage up there to buy a grizz, but I am having a hard time! He said maybe next year?
I will give you a call sometime for sure, I am looking forward to checking out more trails around Marmora, Madoc, Tweed etc. My folks are from Actinolite and Tweed and I know my Father wants to check them out too. It probably won't be until closer to the end of summer as I have a new boat coming so I think it will get more attention than my Grizz for the rest of the summer. I have your cell number and I will take it with me to the trailer this week-end. Thanks again and looking forward to riding with you............Irv

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a silver certified Yamaha tech. I own a 07, 700 grizzly. it has 6700 kms on it. I always run Motul 10w40 full synthetic. its called 7100. as for the valve clearance check. not a bad idea. some people like to wait until they can hear the ticking from loose valves. not a good idea. too loose or too tight valves can burn the engine out. Yamaha has maintenance recommendations for a reason.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Coco, welcome to the site. Did you know you were replying to a 7 year old post. That's ok, your information is still valid today. It's just funny to see some of these old posts come back to life and they are just as usefull now as they were back then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts