Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching thru Yamaha Canada website and the 2006 Grizzly is the same machine with no changes. Now I don't know if this is just for Canada, but it will be interesting to see if here in the States it will be the same. I surely would have thought that Yamaha would have made some significant changes in the 2006 model. Has anyone heard anything on the 2006 models yet? Also I wonder why Yamaha Canada has the 2006 advertised and it's not yet posted on Yamaha website here in the USA

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=508&class=19&group=A&LANG=en

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Call it a hunch, but what I've observed from Yamaha over the past few years is that they rarely update a model significantly. The IRS system on the Kodiak is a rare exception.

Notice how, rather than update the Warrior, they renamed it Raptor 350 and only had minor updates.

My thinking is that we might not see a "bigger, badder" Grizzly for 2006, but rather a whole new machine with a new name. OR, what you're seeing is simply the 2006 Grizzly "660" and they simply haven't released info on the (guessing here) 2006 Grizzly "800" or whatever it ends up being.

Rob

·
Registered
339 Posts
Can't see them discontinueing the 660 for awhile because they need something in the 500cc to 700cc range to be competitive. And they need the Kodiak in the 400cc to 500cc range to fill that slot so the next progression is something larger than the 700cc to again be competitive.

Yamaha always has its new release unveiling around the end of June so if they are working on anything it will come out then.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I don't think they'll discontinue the 660 at all... but they'll likely add a 750 or 800 model.

It wouldn't surprise me if they decided to rename the Kodiak 450 to Grizzly 450, and then just have the Kodiak 400 as the only Kodiak model. They seem to be on a trend of going with different motored versions of their quads rather than different names.

Rob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do we really need a bigger one? Let me say, I am fully happy with my 2005 Griz.

~Armin

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I know I really would not want much bigger if anything something like the King Quad just with a more advanced EFI but still in the 700 range. Other wise I am happy with my Grizzly.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
From a marketing standpoint, they need a bigger one to compete with the likes of the BF750 and SP800. I personally dislike twins because they suck on fuel economy, but I'd like to see something like a 770 EFI. It'd likely be a twin, since 700cc is about as big as you can go on a single without major vibration problems.

For me, I'll stick with my 660. Heck, for my second ATV, I'm looking at a 500... Honda Rubicon or Sportsman 500, to keep economy at the forefront. I'd get a second Grizzly (and will if I find a deal) but would prefer something different, just to be different.

Rob

·
Registered
339 Posts
If I were to buy a second ATV right now it would be the 500 Arctic Cat manual. It is a powerful workhorse of a machine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Grizzly details will be out in June, I believe around the 12th, that is when the Yamaha dealer expo is in Vegas. At that time, you will learn what is new for 06, and prolly not anytime sooner, unless someone gets a photo of the new griz before then in a magazine or on the web.
My gut feeling is that it will be changed, I was saddened when it was not updated last year, I still bought one though. They lead the way, but right now in this class Yamaha is falling behind. EFI, better shocks, brakes, it all can be better on the Griz. I hope they do not goto twins or super big block cc's, I think 700 is about the max, as Kawi has found out with its poor reviews of their big rig.
Give me EFI, 700cc, better shocks, 6ply tires, winch deal, camo and I am totally happy. Til then, I will live with my 05, but would be more than happy to trade this summer on a new 06 if its worth it.

Til June we are in limbo.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yup I agree. The grizz will stay as is. They'll come out with a bigger machine with EFI to keep up on the m arketing side of things and to not let the public think they're falling behind. I'm completely happy with my 05. Maybe in a few yearsa when I'm looking to trade in for something new. But for right now I've got plenty of engine and no complaints.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I must say that I totally agree with Armin. Do we really need these huge quads. I love my grizzly, and can't imagine needing anymore power then what it provides. I do understand that Yamaha needs to stay competitive, but if you need something that big, then just go buy a Jeep or something. We are pushing our selves toward the point that they are going to put a bunch or regulations on these big quads that aren't necesary, that are unfortunately going to include a bunch of the smaller quads. Just my $.02

·
Registered
62 Posts
I must say that I totally agree with Armin. Do we really need these huge quads. I love my grizzly, and can't imagine needing anymore power then what it provides. I do understand that Yamaha needs to stay competitive, but if you need something that big, then just go buy a Jeep or something. We are pushing our selves toward the point that they are going to put a bunch or regulations on these big quads that aren't necesary, that are unfortunately going to include a bunch of the smaller quads. Just my $.02

·
Registered
62 Posts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts