Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 06 grizzly and the stock tires aren't cutting it in the mud. I've came to the conclusion that I deffinataley want to go with mudzillas and have seen ppl run 12's all around but never heard the cons of it. I will be installing a lift kit and a clutch kit for prior to the tires. Any info. would be greatly ppreciated.

Zeus

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Welcome zeus, if you plan on running strictly mud then go for it, but as far as trail riding with 12 12's all around it might be a bit much in the steering dept? There is a guy on here, forgot his name? who runs 12 12's but I think they are 27's? Wait for a few more to chime in as I don't really know the cons other than the obvious......Irv

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was the only con I really came up with, the steering wich I don't believe would be a problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
zeus try the mudlite xtr's i have 27x11x14 rear and 27x9x14 i think that is right anyways went riding this weekend everybody i ride with have outlaw 29.5's and mudzilla's and i went in the same place they went. and most of the time i was in the back of the pack. have you ever rode on mudzilla's they ride like ****.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Zeus, I hope you have Gorilla Axles, I doubt the Yamaha original axles will last very long!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know a few ppl running 28" zillas on stock axles no probs thus far. If they do break I'll replace them as they break with gorilla's. I rode with 3 guys last sat running xtr's and when they got in the deep mud with ruts they were all getting winched out. I'm looking more for an aggresive mud tire, don't get me wrong there 1 **** of a all around tire.

·
Registered
18 Posts
this is just a bit of info for you. I run 27" xtr's and i broke two cv joints in 540 miles. Im just letting you know that these break. I hope the 28 turn out good
for you they look awesome. I know that you can never have enough tire.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Friend of mine runs 12" Zillas on all four corners of his 500 cat and it is impressive in the mud but it is not a trail machine at all. Actually he runs the Zillas on trail rides and now uses 12" 29.5 laws for the mud. Went to a mud bog last weekend and he didn't do well with the 29.5's he should have had the zillas on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Zeus,

I have the Mudlite XTR's 27" x 11's all the way around on my 06 Griz w/ 2" spacers.....it rocks in the mud but is terrible on the trails.

I've been out on the trails a bit and after a couple hours of riding each time it's pretty taxing on the arms, shoulders, back, neck etc. The tires literally catch on every rut, bump, branch, etc. and yank you all over the place.

I went to the dealer today and bought a set of 27 x 9's for the front because I'm sick of the current ride on the trails.......my recomendation is if you are doing strickly mud go for the wide set-up all around but if you are going to be doing a little of both stick with the 9's up front.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
The CV joint on the Gorilla lift kit allows for a more aggressive angle which will help keep the CV joint from coming apart. If you're going to build an extreme quad it will be cheaper to do it right the first time instead of fixing things as they break.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Zeus

I have an 05 grizzly with 12 in mudzillas on the rear and 10's on the front.
3200 km on it and no problem with the diffs or the axels. My dealer gave me some good advice when I put the tires on, if and WHEN you get stuck don't push it get the winch cable out and give the bike some help, so far so good . I also have ITP wheels which put a little more stain on the drive line.
Good luck
Don

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you have trouble steering with the biguns on the quad just trade it and get the 07 griz and your troubles are solved... with the new power steering system.. just a thought( just wishing I had waited a few months more now before I bought my 06)
Really wondering how the steering system on the 07 griz is gonna handle the oversize tires, how it will hold up...

·
Registered
162 Posts
let the axles break then get the gorillas ..the worst thing is if it happens far from home ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Being that you just bought your grizz and the fact that you havent run a set of Mudzilla's yet I think that the 12's in front wouldnt be so fun for you,look real cool but no fun at all.I have 9's and once you click the front diff lock its like pushing a frontend loader when you turn.I love the tires,they work overtime in any environment.I pulled a guy out of a lake while I was going up a 50ft hill at a 45deg angle and never spun the tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 04 Grizz it has jet kit,pipe,[email protected],snorkel kit,highlifter springs, 2"lift in rear running 27 589. I thinking about running 29.5 swamper lites and Idon't think the bike will have the power to turn them in the mud.

·
Registered
14 Posts
sorry!!! My bad

·
Registered
14 Posts
THIS IS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY

I have been running my 28-12-12 mudzillas for 1.5 yaers and finally broke the axles. 3 in one trip.
I usually run them in mud only but run trails to get to the mud keep it in 2 wheel drive until your going in the mud and you should not have a problem steering.
The downside is if an axle does break the tire drags in the mud and the other axles have to work harder to get you out.
My axles broke cause I was in peet moss with lots of dead trees under it. the tires were spining to get through the moss and grabed a log. Which stopped the tire (because of the bite they have) and snapped the rear axle after that the front broke trying to get me out.
Also they wieght 55lbs a piece.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts