Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy with a new '06 SE and lovin' it. First time on a 4x4 and was wondering if it was normal for the front end to whine/whirr when in 4WD (not diff-locked) traveling at varying speeds. Increases with speed as well. Seems more noisy than I would have thought they would.

Is there a maximum speed that you can run the 4x4 (no diff lock) or can you go as fast as you please?

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
My '05 makes a little more noise in 4wd, sort of the same sound you hear in a 4wd pickup. It's like a gear whistling sort of sound. The more traction your tires have, the louder it will get. That's normal. It'll quiet down some the more miles you get on it too. The gears are still being broken in and it will make a little more noise until the gears wear to each other. As far as speed goes, you can wind her out in 4wd regular and not hurt a thing. (so long as you don't put two different size tires on it. Duh!) I probably wouldn't though on surfaces that have a lot of traction. Have fun with your new toy!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Id have to say my 05 doesn't whine or even make any different noises. I have to look at the dash to know if it is in 4x or not. On the other hand my pipe is a little loud and i'm def, dumb and blind.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I can't ever remember my 05 SE whining, I have ran it in 4x4 quite often and like addicted says, I too have to look at my dash to see if it is on or not. Hopefully you have checked your gear-oil level? I would dump what ever is in there and put some new stuff in, use a good brand Hypoid gear oil or if the Grizz is still under warranty I would put Yamaha's own brand in. I wouldn't switch to synthetic until about 500 miles, let the teeth get a good wear pattern first. If it persists I would definitley be taking it back to the dealer or at least let them know. Good Luck.......Irv (P.S. Welcome to the site Cowchip)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Cowship, I get the noise on my 02 grizz. I can drive it in 4wd at full speed in snow (whenever necessary). I'm used to the sound it makes but unlike some others said...I know when I'm in 4wd, no need to check the dash for the 4wd light

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have an '06. For the first couple of hundred of miles it made the whirring sound as well. At 20 hours I changed the front and rear gear oil. I did the rear first. When the rear gear oil was draining, the oil looked brand new; I began to doubt why I was even changing the oil. However, when I drained the front, I was shocked to see the oil coming out black! After seeing that, I was happy that I chose to stick to Yamaha's recommended service interval.

FWIW, I replaced the factory oil with Valvoline Synthetic.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I used to have a serious whine on my griz, but mine was at the back. It used to happen on 4WD and 2WD, in HIGH or LOW range !! It just would not stop. Then I solved it by getting her her own ATV!!

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
raotflmao

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Usually noise is made by friction and friction is a bad thing when it comes to metal parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts