Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing a reality check here.

The manual says 3/4 throtle max sustained for the first 20 hours of operation. Short (1 to 2 second) burst of full throttle are okay. I understand the need for varied RPM during this period, but why the restraint from opening this bugger up? I want and expect many years of fun and use but I'm struggling with holding myself back....lol

Post brake-in, what kind of top speed should I be seeing on this stock unit? What kind of distance are you guys getting on a tank of Gas?

I appreciate your input, I'm loving this thig and more questions are sure to follow.

Thanks all.

Scott

·
Registered
289 Posts
Follow the break in procedure as best you can, will pay dividends in the end. I get around 20 to 22 miles per gallon measured with a GPS, relates to about 100 miles per tankful give or take a little. Don't check your mileage with the trip meter/odometer if its like ours here, they are about 12 percent off, the speedo is the same not very accurate.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As for top speed, you should see 65MPH+ once I finished the 20 hours "break in" i was really EXCITED to open it up! I got my wife on board with me (double) and got on the highway. I saw the speedo hit 68MPH and I still had some more acceloration left...This of course was before the 26" mudlites and rims. I haven't tried to max it out since the tires install but I am sure it will still do 60. I have had it to 50+MPH with the tires across fields... Its not the top speed that impress's me but the low end grund with low range that impresses me!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
05BlackGrizz:

Have to agree with dannyk on the break in. I know atleast imo it is best to follow the book as close as you can. Not really sure on top speed yet but I think I can get around 80 or so miles per tank on nice flat trail riding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just turned over the 10 hour milestone on my new '05 Grizzly. I've been real careful not about following the break-in procedures, especially as it relates to sustained throttle max. Let me tell you, I've not had to push it beyond 1/2 throttle to hit just under 50mph on the smooth, flat "fire roads" I ride on in central Maine. I'm almost afraid to think of what will happen when I open it up to full throttle for the first time... Marine is dead on right: the low end is AWESOME, especially for tricky rock/log climbing. Nice steady power and control. The engine breaking is awesome too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I always broke it in the way I was going to ride it, hasn't failed yet. Of course I did more than routine maintenance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
More of a question than a reply, how much did your dealer charge you for your 20 hour service, you know valve adj., oil, diff. fluid my dealer quoted me a price of $125. Everyone I have talked to said that the first service is usally on the dealer. Is this true? I can see where it would be, as a person did just spend 8,000 plus in their store. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine wouldn't have been on the dealer, $125 sounds like a good price though. I know what you mean, $8000, what the heck, just do it for free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd do it myself but my dealer says if an authorized yamaha shop doesn't do the first valve adjustment, it could void my warranty. So I guess like you said Ben, $125 isn't that unreasonable, and if anything goes wrong its on them.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
As long as it's a certified mechanic and you ahve a receipt, they have to honor the warenty. I won't take mine to the Yamaha dealership because they are idiots. The Honda dealership on the other hand is awsome.

·
Registered
23 Posts
well there you go!!!

The Yamaha dealer in Hobart, Tasmania are idiots as well.I live only 20 klms from them and I do all my business with the dealer in the north over 200klms away. goes to show people will travell for good service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts