Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2003 660 Grizzly and it keeps overheating, not just in the mud but if I take it out and ride it in the field it will over heat. The temp light comes on so i'll turn it off and i thought it was the temp light but it does get HOTTT! So I was thinking about buying a new fan for it off highlifter.
Any info would be good!!!
thanks
Kyle

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the same problem, I called the dealer and the tech told me to make sure rad is clean but not to use a pressure washer (might damage fins) I did this and lite was still coming on. When I looked at the back side of rad it was still full of mud. I cleaned rad from the back and the problems gone. Good luck hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
The Girzz;

If you dont have them allready you may want to cut holes in the side panels. Also there was a recall for older years to have the 04 side panels and some of the heat sheilds installed.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cleaned the radiator front and back, got the recall on it, fan kicks on, and it circulates. I even drained all the coolant out, flushed with a water hose and then added some new coolant. And now it doesn't overheat as much but still does.
Have yall read anything or heard anything about the highlifter radiator and fan?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
339 Posts
May just be the thermostat? They are inexpensive and easy to replace.

·
Registered
62 Posts
you might also want to check a coolant called Engine Ice. It has better heat transfer properties than regular coolant. It's about $16.00 for a half agllon, and I run it in both my grizzly, and my banshee with noticable lower temps in both

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi out there new here,i have 02 grizzly 660 and 05 kodiak 450 ,i just had update done on mine(never had hot problem before)but i thought id get the newer side covers look cool,now i have temp light on,i thought it was hot day tight trails ,i went up north this weekend open faster trails and still had light come on,can hear fan running,talked to couple guys on trails some never had problems some recommended the high lifter rad kit 400.00 ouch,im going to do cleaning of rad tomorrow,hope it works thanks i have winch ,warn front bumper(stock one junk)and fell skid plates.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom
I bought my 03 Grizzly used from a buddy and since I've had it, its been overheating, run 15-20 min. and the light comes on, so after a while it gets old. So I just bought the radiator kit off of Highlifter and I'm putting it on tommorrow, I let yall know in a couple of days if it was worth the $400. I SURE HOPE SO!!!
Kyle

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Griz: when you pulled the old radiator, how clean was it? Had you been REALLY getting it clean?

I had overheat problems, too. then I got religion about keeping a clean radiator and it didn't overheat all summer--about 1500 miles of every kind of riding imaginable. I keep waiting for the light to come on, but it hasn't.

Anyway, please let us know the results with the Highlifter kit and how clean the stock radiator was when you pulled it out.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hi Kyle,

I have just had the same problem.
We took out my fan and connected it to a 12V battery, it only turned sometimes, and then not fully. I had to replace the fan motor,and hey,no more problem!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same problem with my 02 Grizz untill i cut holes in the side panels. Havent had a problem since.....Wader

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Great job on your side panels Wader! That is pretty ingenious, great idea to make it like a Grizzly paw print........Irv

·
Registered
462 Posts
your right Irv,that is pretty cool

Wader,did you take the rear racks off as well? doesnt that make the fenders kinda bouncy?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the rear racks off just to see wht it looked like didn't leave them off long though they are a bit bouncy, don't think id take it out trail ridin with them off, i just finished building a rear seat for it to out of scrap wood i had kickin around, just don't seem rite to pay 3-4 hundred bux for one...Wader

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi guys,
( I know this is an old thread but I hope this might help someone)
I just bought my 2002 green griz from a guy who had this same overheating porblem.He had the new vented covers put on and then(being an Electrician) he wired in another electric fan right behind the leftside vented cover, zip- tied to the shifting bar.It is wired to the rad fan so it comes on when its needed.It blows right at the side of the motor and helps to get the trapped hot air out the vents.The fan looks just like the ones on the back of computers.About3'-4' square.I haven't had a chance to run it in the heat of summer yet but he said these two mods fixed the overheating problem....Rod

·
Registered
339 Posts
That is a pretty slick idea! Still very important to clean your radiator frequently.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts