Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must make a decision this week to get a 660 or 450 Kodiak to get a free Warn winch with the deal ($580.00 savings including installation).

I will be using the 660 in 105 to 115+ desert heat in AZ. I have read on other forums that Grizzlys might overheat. Do the 2006s and/or other 660s overheat?

Oil consumption: I read that the 2006s had the rings changed to lessen this issue. Do the 2006 660s use excess oil?

What kind of fuel mileage can I expect with a 660?

I wanted to ask at a forum devoted to 660s.

Thank you,

Ron

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Welcome to the site ATVrk, that is some pretty hot weather your going to be riding in? I guess I can't answer your question truthfully being as I live in the Great White north of Canada! I will let others answer this one, My 05 just started using oil, it has a 1100 km's. I have heard the 06's have a new type of ring so I don't know if it cured the problem or not? It is a strange one, some guys don't use a drop and others do? I am not worried about it, even with the slight oil consumption I wouldn't trade my Grizz for anything! Accept a newer bigger Grizz. I get great gas mileage with mine, probably about 100 miles give or take? It also depends how hard you are on the go flipper? If your in the muck in 4 wheels diff lock you are going to go through it and then some but out trail riding I would say 100 miles......Irv

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Irv for replying to each question. The high temp use is only from late April through September! Yep, I guess you'll never see those temps in Canada!

The oil consumption concerns me some. Is there some reference you or someone else can cite that refers to the new rings in the 2006s?

I am looking forward to getting the 660 (unless some here convince me to go with the 450) and posting my results on this forum regarding extreme heat use of the Grizzly.

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
339 Posts
Can't really answer your heat question either but I do know there are allot of Grizzly owners out there from the hot south and west. A good temperature gage would be something to install, one can be purchased from either Highlifter or J & T Products. The typical overheating issue I hear about is due to debris clogging the radiator such as mud or weed seeds. Regardless I believe in your situation a performance coolant such as "Engine Ice" would be smart to use and go to synthetic oil after a GOOD break in period. You would probably also see benefit from wiring your fan to a toggle switch so that you can run your fan more consistantly than letting it cycle. Then for the ultimate cooling performance Highlifter sells an aftermarket radiator/fan that will keep things cool.

I am not giving all of this info because I think you will have a overheating issue, just letting you know that if it does give you problems there are solutions.

Oil consumption I can see would be a concern and it does happen but I have never seen any type of survey that would tell you what percentage of Grizzlies use oil at any specific time frame. I would suspect the percentage to be quite low for a machine that has been broken in properly and well maintained.

Fuel mileage could be a difficult one, and will seriously depend on your riding style and location. I have frequently had to switch to reserve around the 30 mile mark. I ride slow technical trails with starting and stopping frequently which really sucks the gasoline down.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i live in south georgia ...which is right next to ****... 95+ temp + 100% humidity i have an 02 and have not had a problem ..i did wrap my exhaust and had the upgrade

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Ron, I live in South Africa and it's pretty hot down here.
It is not unusual to get to 48 degrees C!
I have never added oil to my 660 inbetween normal service intervals, and the only overheating proble I ever had was when my fan motor stopped working at +/ 6000km (18 months).
The motor became erratic and only worked 1 in 5 times whilst connected directly to a battery!

I replaced the faulty motor and have never seen the temp warning light on again!!

I believe my fan motor got damaged by the dust or being submerged in water all the time!!

I strongly reccomend the 660!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Well I have never had the temp light come on but in about 90 deg F and slow rock crawling I have had the gas boil, removed the side pannel for a little witle and all was solved but like it was mentioned before if it does happen there is a cure for the problem.

The oil issue so far either one of our 04 have not been using oil. Sure you would not be dissapointed in the 660.

Mike ;)

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
If you're going to be doing work with the ATV like pulling stuff, the Kodiak is going to have to work harder to get the same result.
You will be very happy with the Griz it it will perform well in that climate.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DKNARND: Thanks for the Engine Ice and toggle fan switch tips.

GeorgiaGrizzly: Yeah, it is hot/humid in your country. I attended the Federal Law Enforcement Training Academy in Glenco, GA for 2.5 weeks in July and August in the early 1980s. If the Griz works there it will do fine here because the heat is a DRY HEAT!

THE BEAST: Thanks for the recommendating the 660. I am leaning towards ordering one tomorrow. It is neat someone from Johannesburg, South Africa is posting here.

Xtremegrizz: I will also be doing some slow rock crawling in that extreme temp.

Starky: Thanks also for 660 recommedation. That is the type of confirmation I was looking for.

Thanks for all the posts and help me make an informed decision.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
After I bought our first griz I was going to buy my wife the Kodiak 450 because I didn't think she would want that much power and a bigger machine. After she rode my Grizzly she wouldn't give it back so I had to buy MYSELF another one. In my opinion, the Grizzly is that much better than the Kodiak.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am in Arizona, fairly hot here, no overheating problems so far! No oil consumption in 700 miles yet either.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again Starky.

grizzflogger: I live west of Phoenix. Good to hear you have no overheating or oil consumption problems. Thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have an 04 griz it has never had the temp light come on, but has sputtered a few times in the heat of summer after moving some it cleared up. But I can tell you mine uses oil, has from the start, it doesn't smoke but I need to add every couple of hundred miles, not a lot but to bring it back to the full mark.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I have a 2000 Grizz 600 for the kid, 2004 Kodiak the wife rides and a 2005 Grizz I ride. We have riden in 100+ temps a few times but before I got the 2005. The 2000 Grizz got hot when riding in those temps but the Kodiak did not. We rode all three in the Rocky Mountain ATV Jam on the Paiute Trail last Sept in both heat some days and snow one day from 6000' to over 11,000' and all worked well without overheating even on slow rock climbs. You would not go wrong with either the Kodiak or Grizzly. The Kodiak is sweet as it is light and easy to horse around. I do agree that if you are planning on doing any heavy work or hauling I would go with the Grizzly. You will not want for power.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I let testosterone decide which ATV to get...the Grizzly. I purchased a green 2006 for $6200.00 before taxes and license/title. There are no document fees or freight costs. I also get a free 2.5 Warn winch, a $400.00 value. That is about what it will cost for my fuel costs, round-trip to pick the ATV up. If you are willing to drive, Lake Hill Motors in Mississippi sells at invoice ($6199.00). I have a new vehicle I want to break in and "test" while it is still new and under full warranty and can see relatives along the way, so the trip makes sense for me. I will be saving about $400.00 on fees and $700.00 on a trailer I will also purchase from Lake Hill to tow the Grizz.

Thanks a bunch for all the posts. They really helped me make a decision.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Congrats ATVrk, you made the right decision! Enjoy and keep us informed on how you like it..........Irv

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Irv. I can't hardly wait to drive the machine. I am a former trained automotive mechanic and know how important maintenance is. I will work the beast hard, but baby it at the same time to make it last like I have done with my 1972 Chevy 4X4 I purchased new 34 years ago. Recon the Grizz will last that long!?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
ATVrk, good choice. Now don't forget the pictures!!!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Glad to hear you went with the Griz. You will not be disapointed. Now all you have to do is purchase a GrizzlyOwners.Com T-shirt.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
With my Picture on it!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts