Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to make this mod and wondered if any of you have done so. Any regrets in reliability? what kit did you decide on and why?

·
Registered
462 Posts
you might do better with just a high compression piston in the stock bore,and a new cam,,you will see some nice gains,and save boring the cylinder for when it needs it

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I know there are a few that have the 686 and I haven't heard any complaints. I guess you will have to search through the profiles to find them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Friend of mine had it in his Grizzly and had no problems at all with it. You may get more information on this mod by searching the High Lifter fourm, it has been discussed many times in great detail over there. Haven't heard of anyone mention this mod here but if they do you have a great bunch of pretty knowledgeable people here that I have never seen steer anyone wrong.

·
Registered
462 Posts
when Rob brought it up i told him what ive heard in some other forums

when doing the 686 kit upgrade,and reusing the stock con rod,some were experiancing con rod failure,,in other words getting a close look at there piston as its coming out of the engine

i seen several discussions on this subject,and the fellas that had failed con rods strongly suggested a more substantial aftermarket replacement,and adding they wish they had due to the cost of a new con rod verses a new complete top end,and a stressed,or damaged lower end for a kicker

i still think with a decent high compression piston,and a cam could produce some decent HP gains,all the while being of considerable savings to the wallet,and labor

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Just curious for anyone who wants to up-grade to the 686 or higher, what do you do with your quad and what do you expect to gain?
I understand if you have a mud bogger with 28" tires and you want to keep them spinning but with the stock transmission and clutches you aren't going to gain more than a few miles per hour.

You may be able to get to that top speed quicker and probably be able to pop wheelies easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts