Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awesome community, maybe you guys can help the NEWBE! Short story, Grizzly worked a ranch, well taken care of, not driven hard...owner noticed battery went bad and replaced. ....now the story begins.

I use it to hunt on river bottom land, just used it once, noticed the electric start stopped working on day two. Also noticed it getting warm, never hot however (didn't ride very long, not a hot day).

Discovered, after the hunt:
1. 20A main fuse was melted, including fuse holder!
2. Oil fan blade was melted, (clearly melted a prior to my ride). After a 1 minute idle the fan motor was extremely hot to touch!
3. Battery going bad way to soon-- Battery read good, 12+V, but when I pulled it, the battery was swollen / clearly something is not right!...(after speaking with owner, he said the last battery he changed was swollen and drained to soon).

I assume there is probably sure there is a single source to the above mystery, from the gurus where does the new guy begin? I have purchased a new solenoid (I believe it went bad, in this latest episode).

I have ordered a new fan (not cheap)
new solenoid, a new battery.
I also need a new rubber starter cap, anyone know where to get one reasonably priced?

I hope you guys can help the new guy! If not, this new toy may be a painful lesson. LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome community, maybe you guys can help the NEWBE! Short story, Grizzly worked a ranch, well taken care of, not driven hard...owner noticed battery went bad and replaced. ....now the story begins.

I use it to hunt on river bottom land, just used it once, noticed the electric start stopped working on day two. Also noticed it getting warm, never hot however (didn't ride very long, not a hot day).

Discovered, after the hunt:
1. 20A main fuse was melted, including fuse holder!
2. Oil fan blade was melted, (clearly melted a prior to my ride). After a 1 minute idle the fan motor was extremely hot to touch!
3. Battery going bad way to soon-- Battery read good, 12+V, but when I pulled it, the battery was swollen / clearly something is not right!...(after speaking with owner, he said the last battery he changed was swollen and drained to soon).

I assume there is probably sure there is a single source to the above mystery, from the gurus where does the new guy begin? I have purchased a new solenoid (I believe it went bad, in this latest episode).

I have ordered a new fan (not cheap)
new solenoid, a new battery.
I also need a new rubber starter cap, anyone know where to get one reasonably priced?

I hope you guys can help the new guy! If not, this new toy may be a painful lesson. LOL
I would start with the stator and voltage rectifier!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would start with the stator and voltage rectifier!
Thank you Kaybee, and that is what I have done. I have a voltage rectifier on order, have replaced the fan. Interesting the fan comes on when you start the motor, is that suppose to happen? Seems like I read on here that the fan only comes on when the motor oil hits a certain temperature.

JD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Usually when the the temp rises on the engine the fan kicks on. Get the voltage problem solved first, then move on to the next issue. Possibility it could be resolved (fingers crossed) with this fix!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, come on community, I need just a little bit more help. I have a bad circuit breaker on the fan, it is burned looking and the fan comes on with the key..... I have found one, but wondering if a toggle switch is more appropriate at this point.

So, my thermo unit of course could be the cause of all of this, so I am wondering if by simply installing a toggle switch on the fan make the most since and the simplest fix. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Usually when the the temp rises on the engine the fan kicks on. Get the voltage problem solved first, then move on to the next issue. Possibility it could be resolved (fingers crossed) with this fix!
So far so good, put the new voltage rectifier on and was able to trouble shoot my starter problem. It is a bad rely above the twilight. I am hoping that all my problems stemmed from this voltage rectifier. I have noticed my circuit breaker for the fan is damaged, and I believe this is the source as to why the fan comes on when you turn the key on.... It seems to me the simplest fix and the most assured fix would be to put a toggle switch on the fan and turn it on and off myself when its needed. your thoughts?
JD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts