1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I change the coolant?

I have about 315 miles on my Grizzly.

I changed the oil and oil filter twice.

I changed the differential and final gear oil once.

I put grease in the rear wheel zerks but I couldn't find any grease zerks in the front?

I can't check the valve clearance. It's too much for me.

I don't know how to do it!

Is there any other maintenance I should do it?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Clean your air filter. And I would either take it in for a valve adjustment or find someone to help you do it in the near future.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Definitly have the valves checked and adjusted if needed.

My nephew had his 400EX valves adjusted after break-in.

He said he noticed a big improvement in the "snap" on the throttle.

I have read in other threads that no adjustment was needed after break-in.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I adjust/check my valves once a year. The first couple of times they were way out but the last time they were pretty good.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I haven't done my valves, because I feel it's a bit more beyond my mechanical expertise. I know I could do it, but I don't have the proper tools and the time it would take may be worth me just paying to have it done.

·
Registered
339 Posts
doolin...for tools all that is required is basic metric sockets and wrenches to remove everything needed to get to the valves then the best thing I have found to adjust the valve is the head of a square drive deck screw. Here is an address to Tex Mudders web site and he has a very good informational write up on valve adjustments. http://www.ansley.net/index.php

I also have a write up on this in the tech tips section of NYROC's site that is at this address http://atv.dnsalias.com/

The most difficult thing is feeling confident that you have found TDC but if you read these two links and pay attention to the valves you will figure it out. However it will take a some time the first couple of times.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I think it is a little more intimadition than anything. Once you get a feeler gage and read a couple write ups on it its really not as bad as you think.

Like DKNARD I think the hardest thing is making sure you are at TDC but as long as you can shake the rocker arm and its not tight you should be at TDC. But if you read those write ups and take your time its really not that bad, but if you don't still feel that confident then sometime you should bring it somewhere to have them checked.

I know the I think the 04 and up changed the valve springs and did not have as much of a issue as the eariler models but they should be looked at still IMO.

Mike

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
i found that checking the valves is not a big problem but when mine was due (cant remember the miles) I talked to my dealer,, he said not to worry about it unless it was hard to start,,,,, I waited a while, till about 800 miles or so and checked them myself just so I could say i did if anything happened down the road,, they were perfect,,, got around 1300 on it now and still starts as soon as you hit the button, so Im not going to worry about it till it starts running bad or not starting good,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Don't worry about the coolant for at least 1-2 years. I've done my coolant every two years and that seems to be fine. It's a fairly easy project.

Valves... I suggest checking them ever other oil change. I change my oil every 30 hours, since the thing only holds two quarts of oil. My '02 used to require a valve adjustemnt at every oil change, but now at over 4000 miles, it isn't near as bad any more and I can go 2-3 oil changes between valve adjustments.

Rob

·
Registered
339 Posts
For the second link go to the "tech tips" section then "Grizzly"

I just went there and got in but it was very slow for some reason, maybe try it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have 950KM's on mine so far and I haven't checked the valves, I was told by a couple of Grizzly fanatics/mechanics not to worry about them until I hear clacking and it is hard to start. Just like CG was told. Maybe it is the older ones that need more frequent adjustments? I wouldn't worry about the coolant for 2 or 3 years but check it's strenght when the cold weather hits. Check your diffs periodically especially if you do a lot of water/mud running. I am running Mobil-1 synthetic presently and I am going to switch to Amsoil soon in the diffs, nothing wrong with Mobil-1 it is just that I have a bottle of Amsoil severe gear that I want to try. Just follow your manual for the other stuff. Good Luck.........Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
To bad you didn't get it in writing when your Yamaha dealer told you not to worry about it. Yamaha's are notorious for having either the exhaust or intake valves tightening up. I can't remember which it is. Have them checked at 500 miles or whatever the manuel says. If you wait til it's running bad then you are alredy doing damage to the motor.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your reply's

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You don't have to change your coolant, but switching to Engine Ice will lower your operating temperature.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
hey Starky, is that engine ice an additive or complete replacement? i was looking at a bottle of it yesterday and didn't read all the instructions. oh yeah, is one bottle enough to do the job?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Engine ice is a complete replacement of your coolant system, Im getting ready to do it in both of our Grizzly's soon.

Acording to the manual one bottle should be real close to doing it but I think Im going to buy three to just be on the safe side especially if I ever need to add any. Full raditor and coolant reserve is 2.22qts and the bottle of Engine Ice is at 2qts so its real close.

Mike

·
Registered
462 Posts
one jug does it,,,,you will have a small amount left over,,,the stuff isnt cheap so save your money on the extra

your going to have to pop the front rack off,and just pop the front hood up,you wont need to completely remove it,you just need to get to the radiater cap which if your facing the front of the bike,it will be on your "right" (edited because i goofed,was tired,and stepped in before bed)

your going to have to drain the radiator,engine,and all of the hoses to get all of the old coolant out,including hoses on both sides,,,,just disconnect the hoses at there lowest point

hook it all back up,fill it with water,run the engine for a few secs,and completely drain it again to be sure all of the old coolant is out

they say the old coolant if mixed with the ice affects the engine ice's performance

that stuff is good,it actually made my motor run smoother

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Ya, what Hoo said.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts