Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one of the threads someone had mentioned that while the front and rear wheels on the stock Grizzly are different witdths, aftermarket wheels only come in typically only one width.(7" wide) That is why they use the stock wheels. With that said, why do people change their wheels other that looks? Does the wheel width change the ride and handling characteristics?

I called ITP. The customer support person said that the wheel offset on their wheels is 5X2 and the stock Grizzly wheels are different. By putting ITP aftermarket wheels on the Grizzly I could expect a 1" width increase per corner. (2" increase in wheeler width) While I would happily pay $300.00 to make some things 2 inches longer, is it worth the $300.00 to make the stance of the wheeler 2" wider? I talked to a dealer he said that putting aftermarket wheels on any wheeler substantially increases stability. (Of course he has nothing to gain by selling me aftermarket wheels)

I ride an '04 Camo Grizzly. I am happy with the looks of my black stock wheels. (I know, I know) If I change to the ITP wheels (I like the C-Series type 7 12X7 black wheels) will they increase the width (and stability) enough to justify the cost? And will the wheels being the same width change the ride and handling?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yes...the extra stance is worth it. I went from stock to ITP wheels with 26" tires. DIdn't care for the tires but the handling was worlds different with the added stability. When I sold the rims and tires I went back to stock rims with ATR's. I added 1" wheel spacers so I could maintain that feel of stability on the stock rims. It works just as good as aftermarket wheels and feels the same. Personally I like looks also and I think I too am going for Black type 7's on big horns for the spring. I guess great minds think alike! ;)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
DGR,

There are 2 measurements in question, The rims are the same width front and back on standard and aftermarket rims. The tyres are narrower in front than the rear to enable an easy turning of the handlebars.
Standard rims with spacers are the same as aftermarket rims with the offset.

And yes the offset make the world of a diffence. It negates the tippy fealing when cornering at speed!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I ride XTRs on 14" type c 7 rims. I agree that the offset makes a big dif. in handling and stability. another positive to the wider tire and offset is that you don't fit into the standard atv rut. this can realy help in mud or steep trails

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Dgr, it looks like you have done your homework the ony mistake you made was the fact that all 4 rims being the same width is not correct. The rear rims are wider than the front but I don't know the dimensions. The cost is the same for front and back and if you buy the tire/wheel combo they come assembled so you don't notice the differance like you would if you had to mount them yourself.
The offset of aftermarket wheels is a definate advantage and very noticable in stability of the machine. As others have said, you can get the same stability by using wheel spacers. There is definately a bling factor in buying aftermarket wheels.
Just remember, a lot of the Grizzlies instability is due to the stock POS tires and not necessarily the offset of the wheels.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What Starky said sounded logical to me. So, I looked up the front and back wheels on the ITP web site. They are the same. They show:

C-Series Type 7 Front 12x7 4/110 5+2 Polished Aluminum 12P210BX 1228195403B

C-Series Type 7 Rear 12x7 4/110 5+2 Polished Aluminum 12P210BX 1228195403B

Same 12X7 size. Right down to the same order numbers and offset. I agree with Starky these wheels should be different to fit on a wheeler. I like what everyone has said about the wider wheels adding to the stance of the wheeler.

I have also thought about the wider wider stance of the wheeler. Will this make it harder to fight the ruts or will it make it easier to ride?

Because the stock wheels have such a different offset how will these work on the Grizz without the need to put spacers on the front or the back to compensate for the difference in ITP wheels over stock? OR is this just the start of my concerns?

Inquiring minds need to know!! Thanks for the responses. DGR

·
Registered
339 Posts
To chime in here the aftermarket wheels are the same width and for an IRS machine you buy all four front wheels so the offset is equal on all wheels.

Wheels for a SRA machine will have a different offset between the front and back but be the same width.

Stock Grizzly wheels I am not certain on the offset differences if any but the width of the front wheel is 1/2 inch narrower than the rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Wow, I stand corrected. I just looked at a picture of my Griz and the sidewalls are straight up and down on the front tire and rolled in more on the back. This brings up another question. Since the sidewall on the rear tire has to roll in to fit on the narrow wheel, doesn't that make the rear tire shorter than the front?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys, I'm from australia and havin heaps of trouble with gettin the right wheels for my 07 grizzly 660.. stock are 12X6 front and 12X7 rear will the ITP SS108 12X7's fit on this modle bike. sorry to hijack you post mate :)

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Starky doesn't mind if you hijack threads, he does it too! Besides this one is almost seven years old! Yes, those should fit fine, I have the same wheel on my 07 model

hey guys, I'm from australia and havin heaps of trouble with gettin the right wheels for my 07 grizzly 660.. stock are 12X6 front and 12X7 rear will the ITP SS108 12X7's fit on this modle bike. sorry to hijack you post mate :)

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
yep, the ITP's will fit fine. you will gain a little width and a little stability while looking a whole lot better!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts