Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Service manual says to clean the air filter using a "solvent," but NOT gasoline (or something else flammable). Ok, no problem. What would an acceptable "solvent" be?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i use filter cleaner from the local bike/parts shop.spray it on let it soak for 10 minutes and rinse it off with the water hose-envirementally safe too.i dont like the smell or the hassle of any mineral spirits or such,i would rather spray it on/hose it off.some use some soap and water mix.i also use the spray can filter for the oiling of my filter afterwards.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hey wildcat, i have used varsol with no problems. I just wash it out afterwards with warm soap and water, let dry completely, re-oil with foam filter oil and your good to go......Irv

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use a product from K & N. Its there air filter cleaner it comes with Two cans one cleans it ( spray it on wait 20 minutes wash it off ) when its dry the other one sprays on a thin layer of oil. It works very good and doesn't cost very much.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have a DuraBlue foam dual filter, (same as Banshee). I wash it in petrol, leave it to dry for 20 mins, then I soak it in filter oil. I also put on a filterskin over it "dry" to catch all items over 0.005micron.
I must say, they have never found a spec of dirt inside my carb at service time. I also clean the filter after every 10 hours of riding.

I am told the reason the manual says no gasoline, is to prevent an accident and Yamaha being sued. It works well and evaporates quickly, which is important before you oil it!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I still clean mine in a coffee can with gas, wash it with dawn dish soap, let it dry and spray it with filter oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts