Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new griz owner and was wondering about cheaper oil filters than the $13 ones the dealer sells. Would a super tech st6607 or st7317 or fram ph6017A (all from wal-mart)do any damage to my engine? All of these will cross reference and fit ok. Filters seem pretty basic and not that hard to build or screw up! Has anyone tried any of these successfully?

·
Registered
339 Posts
These Oil Filters have 20 x 1.5mm threads, 14 psi by-pass valve, anti-drain back valve, 2.3" O.D. gasket 2.5" to 3.5" long. If you have the room, I recommend the longer filters.

Motorcycle Filters (not recommended)
Yamaha: 5GH-13440-00-00
Purlator: ML16817
Fram: PH6017A
NAPA: 1358
WIX: 51358
AC: 2057
AMSOIL: SMF-103

Recommended Filters - about 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One: PL14612
Mobil: M1-108
Bosch: 3300

Recommended Filters - about 3.25 inches long.
Purolator Pure One: PL14610
Mobil: 1 M1-110
Bosch: 3323
WalMart SuperTech: ST7317

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, let me rephrase the question a little. What kind of filters are you guys running on your personal machines? Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I am running the Yammy filter on mine, I did try a few Frams but with my discount at the dealer they are about the same price. I think the Yammy filter is a better choice compared to the Fram? I have read lots of posts where guys aren't to pleased with Fram filters?......Irv

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I know that I have read a few bad articles on the Fram filters for cars and trucks and have stop using them alltogeather. IMO I use the K&N oil filter. One because it is a good quality filter but also because it gives you the ease of use with the I think 1" nut on the end that you can get a standard socket on.

Mike

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Forgot to mentioned that I do order mine through Rocky Mountain and I always order a few at a time when I get my oil through them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Xtreme...what oil are you using and what is the number of the K&N Filter. Is the K&N reuseable?

I try to use Purolator Pure One in all of my vehicles when possible, even take my own filter to Wal-Mart when I go for a change there. On the Grizz I have also used the Yamaha filter and Amsoil filter, but the one of choice is Pure One.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Because cars need to push a higher volume of oil through the filter the filiment is not as tight as a filter that is made for an ATV so it allows larger particles to get through. The particles are still microscopic but they are bigger.
Another option is a stainless steel filter which is reusable. It costs about $80 but after 8 or 10 oil changes you're making money. Also, they are supposed to flow better than a regular ATV filter and the particles they allow through are actually smaller than a regular ATV filter.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
wouldn't be nice if our griz forum could get with some atv parts ,acessories
supplyer and get a club discount for members who belong.anything like filters tires .they would get alot of buisness here if the deals where good and (shipping) also. my thoughts bob m

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
The K&N is not resuable but the part number KN303G. Also the oil I use is Maxima 10w40 premium and if you are interested the part number for that is 53-0533.

As far as the resuable filters go I though about using them myself but then after awhile I got thinking that it might just be safer and easier using the throw aways. I thought what happens if I always don't get it as clean as the last time, do I and how long do you have to wait for it to dry out before you could ride again, just thought it was safer and easier to do it the old fasioned way still.

Mike

·
Registered
162 Posts
i have been running the fram since 02 never had any problems ....my dealer sells them for 5.50each

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Great idea bob, but seeing as this site isn't sponsored by any parts or accessories company I doubt we would get a discount from anyone?....Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
It would even be nice if we gould get a dealership to sponsor or support us and give a discount on parts.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I'm not familiar with it, but as long as it is for ATVs with wet clutches it should be good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been doing some reading and have decided something. I am going with the super tech 6606 filter and shell rotella t, regular (not synthetic) 15-40 motor oil, both from wal-mart. $2.07 for filter and $2.22 per quart of oil. oil is not energy conserving so should be ok for wet clutch, also is good quality oil in it's own right! Will get back to ya in a few months if all goes well.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I hope it works ok. Don't see why it shouldn't.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Does anybody have a technique for changing the oil filter without making a total mess?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts