Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My warn cable broke today while plowing. No more steel line for me. I ordered a Amsteel synthetic rope. The break probably happened because of user error. But I was still surprised. The rope already has a lot of frays in it as well. All I did was tie it in a know to finish plowing. I think I got a good deal. 50ft of amsteel blue winch line for $56 shipped.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have always heard the best thing to do if you are using your winch to raise your plow is to remove your good cable when you mount your plow and add a short piece onto the spool just for plowing because it is very hard on it. I would imagine it will be just as hard on synthetic rope to be constantly rubbing in the same spot while raising or lowering the plow.

Or the other option is get one of the Montana Jacks mounts where you can position your winch above the plow so you are pulling with a straight line.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read the same thing. I plan to cut down my existing cable and make it a plowing only piece. Then use the syn rope for normal trail riding.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You will not regret changing to the synthetic rope. But don't forget, you can double the length of the rope on the drum (very, very useful on the trail) and increase the break strain at the same time. Also it won’t kill you when it snaps!!

Some people prefer a Hawse fairlead when using synthetic rope, I kept my roller fairlead and it is great!!

We are lucky enough to have a local manufacturer of nautical rope for tug boats in Cape Town. A local 4x4 shop, buys strands from them and makes up winch ropes for the local WARN importer. I have the Warn ATV3000 and I bought a 100ft (orange rope) with a 6000 pound break strain (metric diameter is 5mm, = 1/4). This cost me R400 which converts to about US$60 !! Not a bad price.

I have used it extensively to pull the Beast out of the rivers and mud, also used it once to pull a Rhino and Raptor (tied together) up an embankment.

The supplier’s web site is http://www.mr-recovery.co.za/straps.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts