Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is in Iraq right now getting ready to order a new Grizzly 550 EPS. He is still unsure about the colors. I didn't know if there were any issues with the camo or not so I told him I would post a thread here and see if there were any issues of peeling, changing colors or what not. I told him to go with the blue(which I really like). Lets here it guys. Any issues??

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I have an 03 Kodiak 400 and an 07 700 both are camo and am really happy with the camo on both the 03 has a few black plastic areas showing through which it had when I bought it used 4 years ago, and the 07 has a few marks where it was scratched and nothing more has come off and I pressure wash each after just about every ride, tell him to go camo you dont see stress marks in the plastic when the plastic is kinked, and it hides scratches extremely well.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't get anything but camo ... for the very reasons GwrGrizz700 wrote about ... it hides everything ........... However ....... I bought a green one because there weren't any camo ones around when my wallet was burning a hole in my pocket .......... and the first thing I did was put a camo covering on it ............. WHAT ??

I've heard .... that some times some of the camo ones start to change color .... can't remember if that was Polaris ones or all of them ? ...... and it may have been the early camo that had that problem ..... but if a guy keeps a cover over it or keeps in in a garage .... no worries ......... that goes for a colored one too I would guess.

Now, if your friend likes to polish, likesthe shine of a new bike, etc. ..... then a colored one would be nice ....... I'm partial to Green .... (Big Grin !!!)

Later ....

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
I could never buy a camo bike... I'd park it int he woods, forget where I left it, and there I'd be... trying to find something that I don't have a chance in **** of seeing... The brighter the better for me!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Bob, thats just cause yer gettin old...hehehe

Camo on my 02 grizz is great! Looks good clean or dirty! =)

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
I think that my eyeballs are aging faster than MOST of the rest of me... It's getting rough when you park an ATV in the woods, and can't find it... It happened when I was still ignorant and riding my Polaris Trail Boss 350L. Mostly gray and completely invisible to me once I turned around in the woods... I once actually spent fifteen minutes lokking for the **** thing. (I still think that the forest elves moved it on me!) After that I tied an orange ribbon to the bars...

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it just looks sexy, and come on, what are you really going to sneak up on with a camo grizzly?

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Camo is fun when you blow by the blue ones (because we all know they are the slowest ), then you can roost them and they have no idea what hit them. LoL

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
is that where all those flying rocks keep coming from?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I emailed him and told him not to worry with the camo. He will pick it up when he comes in on R&R next month. He won't get to ride it though because him and his wife are going to ride the rapids in Canada again this year. He was going to go with the 700 but his dad will ride it some during hunting season and he didn't want to get one with that much power. He is supposed to come down in december and ride with us either at Wolfpen Gap or Bear Creek. He will be bringing one of our Army buddies that has a Brute. I hope we don't have to pull that thing(brute) back to the trucks. Those are some rough trails!!!/CFIDE/scripts/ajax/FCKeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif

Now what kind of tires do I need to talk him into. I would think he would need bighorns.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Tires ?? ....... Ahhh ...... what a fun subject ......... first, does he want a radial or bias or does it matter ?? Stock size or bigger (26 or 27's ??)

Yes, Bighorns or a good choice for all around, and don't forget the Bighorns 2.0's ..... then there'sthe Duro's Hammer has, and I really like my GBC Dirt Tamers .... all with about the same tread pattern... and there are other brand tiresout there with about the same tread ..... so .... ??

Now one tireI really like and may try next,is the Interco"Reptile", my younger bro has these.... it's an all purpose tread pattern, radial, & my bro loves his.He's had them in snow, what I will call, mild mud ... and hardpack ... says they ride smooth & have great traction.

And tell yer buddy, Good choice on the "Camo" selection for his ride .... Wink ! Wink !

Later ........

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
The Beast swore by Bighorns, but even he admitted that they're not the best in really deep mud... 2.0 might be better since they've created larger voids in between the lugs. How's he gonna be using his bike? Mud? hardpack? Rocks? Trails? Each condition will favor a particular style of tread, so just make sure that he's buying with an idea of how he's going to be using the bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts