Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to the silver lake dunes in Mears, MI a few times a year but have never taken my griz. I was wondering if anyone has ever run real paddle tires and what the outcome was. I have found scat trak paddles in 23.5x8x12, 23.5x10x12 and 26x8x12, and 26x10x12 sizes in various paddle numbers and heights. I just don't know where to begin in selecting the correct tire. I currently run a stock griz with swamplite tires in stock sizes. I think they will dig too much and not propel the quad forward enough. With the paddle I believe it will float on top of the sand better and get plenty of traction. Which height is better? The 23's will accelerate faster but run out of top speed and how will the clutch act? With the 26's, it won't accelerate as quickly, but will achieve a faster top speed which is desirable in the dunes? When I rode my GF's Eiger 400 in the dunes, it would make it to the top, but would be bogging severly, and using four wheel drive didn't make any difference. I assume the Grizzly has enough balls to pull hard up the big dunes, but will the difference be in the paddles or not? I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 275lbs. and I don't want to have to purchase paddles twice. I also assume I would run paddles up front or would that be too much traction? I am also in dire need of some 12" bead lock or reinforced ring aluminum wheels, much like on the sport quads. I don't really care for the cast aluminum wheels out right now for utility quads. I found some OMF 12" beadlocks but at $179 per wheel, it's kind of pricy! I like the ITP t-9 baja wheels, but no 12"

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I have never seen a utility quad with paddles but it does not soud too far fetched. If you can stay with stock size (25") tires. That will allow your clutch to work at its optimum. Just put them on the back. If you put them on the front you will have to run in 4x4 all the time and that won't be too fun.
I took mine out to Little Saraha after I first bought it. Luckily the sand was damp and kind of hard so I had a blast. If it had been dry and soft it would not have been as much fun. I think you'll have a great time with paddles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of running the 26" rear paddles and getting the smoothest front tire I can find. The paddles are only 2 ply and very light so I don't think I will loose much power down low. It just sucks cause i see plenty of utility quads at the dunes and there isn't a market for them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've seen a few utility quads with Paddles out here on the west coast, and they didn't seem to do any better than utility quads with a regulat type tire. The problem that I noticed is that the grizzly doesn't have the wheel speed of the sport quads which is also what helps the paddles perform so well on the sand. I personally have the mudlite XTR's in 26" all the way around, and I can make it up most of the hills around here, the only places that I cannot make it out of, are the hole shots that don't give you any room to get a run at them, but then again if I am doing that kind of riding, I bring my built Banshee.

Just my $.02
Dan

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dnhyoung, exactally what I was thinking. I'm going to look at a built banshee this week for the dunes only. It is about the same price as preping my grizzly for the dunes and this way I have two quads to pick from. I'll post some pics if I get the banshee.

·
Registered
62 Posts
one thing to think about if you do get a built banshee, is to ask how many times it has been bored, what kind of engine work has been done. Also if the crank has been trued & welded. Banshee's are known to seperate the crank when they are pumped up. also if the compression is over about 155/160 lbs you wil have to use race gas. If you have any other question, fel free to e-mail me, or message me

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks alot. I know the guy from work and he seems cool. It is a 1994 and he is the original owner. He replaced the motor with a 99 motor cause Trinity built the stock motor which blew up with less than 10 hours, destroying the case (probably due to crank problems) Anyway, Trinity wouldn' do anything for him so he bought a 1999 for the motor and is putting a RG 350 motorcycle engine in the 1999 chasis. The 1999 motor is freshly rebuilt with a .050 overbore and 36mm carbs. I will definately contact you with questions when I get it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts