Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just can't find Maxxis Bighorn Radials and the Maxxis 4x4 wheel, locally (its too expensive to ship from the USA) so i have found a dealer who stocks ITP type 7 rims with Radial XTR's.

Is anyone using them?

Should I go for a 26" or a 25", if I go 26" will I need a clutch kit?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Beast, I don't know a lot about the tires other than stay away from the 14"inchers, I heard/read of lots of trouble with them. I have the 27" 589's on my grizz now and didn't notice to much power loss, but I sorta wish they were a 26" incher? I like the extra ground clearance but I don't like the tire rubbing on the back! I have to trim some more plastic because of the off-set of these rims. Good Luck.......Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see they only come in 26" and 27" so 25" is not an option!

Front: 26x9R-12, 27x9R-12, 27x9R-14; Rear: 26x11R-12, 27x11R-12, 27x11R-14.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Strange their (ITP) 2006 catalogue shows :

MUD LITE XTR 25x8R-12
MUD LITE XTR 25x11R-12

ITP seems to think that the Holeshot ATR's are a comparable tyre to the Maxxis Bighorns

·
Registered
113 Posts
beast I love the XTRs on the type 7 14" rim. Its lighter than the 589s with nearly the same tread. Good in mud but smooth on hard trail. I did reclutch and thought that my low end improved.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PSC I am please to see there are 25". I was just reading it off their website http://www.itptires.com/mudlitextr.html

only sizes they show are: Front: 26x9R-12, 27x9R-12, 27x9R-14; Rear: 26x11R-12, 27x11R-12, 27x11R-14.

GrizzFatboyrider those wheels look very cool

·
Registered
5 Posts
Beast,

Here is the link to the (ITP) 2006 "Catalogue"

http://www.itptires.com/2006ATVproductguide.xls

I am currently considering alternatives to the stock Dunlops. The Bighorns were looking promising until I read of your trouble in sourcing them at a reasonable price.

Have you looked at the Holeshot ATR's ? They seem to be more all terrain orientated (6 Ply radial)

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
I have the 14" rims with 27" XTR's and I think they are great. After a little rubbing and then installing a lift kit the issue is resolved. They go like stink in mud and ride smoothly on hard packed trail.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PSC my sourcing is not even a price issue. There are no agent/importers in South Africa, Maxxis USA did not even bother to respond to my email for info!
When I got my bighorns about 20 months ago (6000km ago)I got them from a dealer who sourced them especially for me (they have since closed up). Even ITP has an exclusive dealer who won't distribute to other shops!!!! and he only bring in some tyres. I will go there next week to see exactly what he has.
I have given 6 dealers a request for Bighorns and Maxis rims, but I have yet to have an answer after 6 weeks!!!

Locally only 60 Grizzlies are sold a year, 95% of them remain 100% standard!!!
Only Dunflops and Bear Claws are readily available and I can't/won't go back to a Bias tyre. I've tasted RADIAL and I like it!!

I have seen the Holeshot ATR's , I will see if they are available here.

Thanks for the info!!

TJ10EC, man those wheels look good!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I have heard the XTR radials are good as they have been reviewed on ATV Magazine TV. I have a 2000 Grizz for the kid and run 25" Bighorns. I run 26 " Bighorns on my 2005 Grizz and definitely the clutch kit helps. If I had to do it, I may stay with the 25" but it is close with pros and cons for both.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've seen the XTR side walls get cut easy in creeks. I have a nephew you has done it to. I think he is going to go with swamp fox. I'm still looking. I like the big horn but the $$$$ is high. the swamp fox runs about $50 or so per tire. and people really like them

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Beast, what I have heard about them is what coach0 says, they are no good for any type of rock riding or climbing, I have heard the tires come off the rim because of the lower profile sidewall and lots of dented rims from the same. The guy's I deal with really push the regular mudlites but they won't carry the radial anymore. They said the tire is not recomended for our riding areas. But he did say they were a great tire for trail riding(dirt). I just know how aggressive you like to ride judging by your pics so I don't know if they would be able to take the abuse you would be dishing out to them? Hope this helps........Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Irv, the problem with the sidewall cuts and tyres comming off is that only on the 14" rim?

I a m very concerned by yours and coach0 comments because I ride some very rocky areas on most weekends. I hardly ever do serious mud but I do river crossings wich are verry sandy (my current bighorn have lost their traction in the river sections because the tread on the rear tyre is only about 6mm (1/2 inch)

I am tempted to go to 26" (because the Outlander 800 has them as standard) but common sense is telling me to stay with the 25" (also I don't want to fit a lift kit or a clutch kit)

Perhaps I should look at the Holeshot ATR's on some type 7 C series in 12" ???

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thats what I have heard Beast, I think it is only the 14's? Mainly due to the shorter sidewall. I would think the 12's would be ok but I don't know for sure? Good luck...........Irv

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Last week a friend bought a set of XTR's and tore a 2" hole in the sidewall during the first ride. They don't fix radial sidewall cuts so he had to buy a new one. The dealer felt sorry for him and gave him a great deal one the new one. Bad luck or bad sidewalls?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
addicted2mud, does he have 14" or 12" rims and what size tyre???
Thanks for the input!!

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Beast you probably want to hear 14" but they were 12" wheels and 26" high tires.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!! Bye Bye MUDLITE XTR's you are no longer an option to me!!!!

Thanks for the info, you saved me a packet!!! tyres here are about 5 times the price!! a mistake is very costly!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
the ones I've seen are 12's to. I'm still looking. The Dirt Tammers look nice but they are bias ply. I had the reg. 26 inch mud lites on my kodiak I likes them but i wanted something with stronger side walls for rocks. People are telling me the AMS Swamp Fox are good for rocks, trails and even mud. because of the side lugs. have you seen them. what have you heard.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Beast,
Just read that Carlisle now has a radial. Check it out. This is a link to only one vendor. Looks a little like the Bighorns.
Badlands XTR
http://www.4atvtires.com/atvTires/showProduct.php?id=5096&cat_id=707

Picture
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/images/carlisle_atv/badlandsxtr.jpg

1 - 20 of 56 Posts