Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody running the holeshot radials on their grizzly, looking for feedback on them, also are you running them on stock wheels or aftermarket wheels. I was looking at aftermarket wheels but they only come in 7 inch wide where as the stock yammy wheels are 8 in the front and 10 in the rear.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I just got these mounted up on my Grizz two weeks ago. I'll try to get some pictures up tonight. I haven't taken them on the trail yet (my wedding was in between) but I'm going riding Sunday so I should be able to get some feedback other than looks by then. With all the rain, there will be plenty of trail mud (not lousianna mudbogging), slick rock, and hardpack trails. I can't wait to try them out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waiting on the pic's doolin64

·
Registered
701 Posts
Danny, here's a link to another forum with some pics of my Grizz with the tires. Just too lazy to upload them to this site :)

http://www.northeastatvers.com/forum/index.php?topic=830.0

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I had these on my Rincon and loved 'em. I put 'em on the Grizzly for a short time (since the two machines have the same bolt pattern), and honestly, I didn't like 'em. BUT, that's because my Grizz is setup for slow, technical stuff rather than higher-speed use. So my preferences may be way different than yours.

I run Bighorn radials on the Grizz and love 'em. Can't wait to put a set of those tires on my Sportsman.

Rob

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after some looking and asking questions and all, I made the move to a set of Carlisle ACT radials, as soon as they get here and I can get them mounted I will have to give them a try. I liked the tread pattern better on them than on the ATR's.I stayed with the stock wheels so I didn't have to add fender extensions, time will tell if I made the right choice.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Danny:

I just looked those up. They look really sharp! I agree with ya.

I believe these are the tires that come on the new Outlander 800. They also look a LOT like the "Polaris PXT Radial by Carlisle" tires that came on my Sportsman 800. I think the ACT is a little beefier.

The one thing I don't like about the PXTs is they're fairly soft... they tend to rollover in cornering, and they don't respond well to more air. I run no more than 5-5.5 psi in 'em, and no less than 5 psi. They also aren't wearing that well. I have almost 1000 miles on that machine and figure at most I'll get 2000 out of those tires.

So anyway, I hope the ACTs, being an aftermarket tire, will prove to be a harder rubber compound and a little bit stiffer in the sidewall.

I look forward to hearing your report on 'em!

Rob

·
Registered
701 Posts
I looked into the Carlisle's as well. Definately look like a nice tire. We tend to ride at a fast pace. More like sport quads then utilities, that and the cost of the ATR's were just right. I hope I like them. Down the road on the pavement it was night and day compared to my 26" Outlaw MST's. With the MST's I lost a lot of low end and they handle bars shook real bad at anything over 45mph. The atr's were smooth as can be. I looked into the bighorns as well, but the weight and cost shifted me to the atr's. If I don't like them I'll sell them like I did my mst's. They only had 3 rides on them before I took them off.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Sounds like the ATRs are the best tire for your style of riding.

You wouldn't have liked the Bighorns... they shake like a mofo above 35 mph. I need to have the wheels balanced to try to help with this a bit.

Rob

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 4300 miles on the stockers and 3 of them are fine yet, my left front is worn quite a bit and thats from the tarmac, riding the shoulder of the road and being that it is crowned the griz keeps wanting to go into the ditch so you are constantly keeping left pressure to keep it going straight and out of the ditch, so of course the left front is on the pavement and wears like nuts, so now as much as I can I get up on the pavement completely or when the shoulder permits I am off of the pavement all together. Learned the hard way, but from what I read etc. seems like radials are the way to go anyway, will see Danny

·
Registered
701 Posts
Well I put the atr's through the paces yesterday. Mud, a little snow, wet rocks, hard pack, etc. They performed great. But I had a mishap. I pinched the sidewall and got a slice. We were able to fix it and it hold air no problem. Just a bummer. But I wasn't alone, we had four other flats yesterday. Including a set of 589's. We have a lot of shale rock that creeps up on ya especially when covered by leaves.

·
Registered
462 Posts
you can get Carlisle's just about anywhere,,,they are pretty much a "stock" tire on alot of new bikes,,,,they even sell them in WalMart,and Tractor Supply here

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hoo,

I'm thinking about the bear claws as well. You said they ride good on the pavement? ANy idea how they are in the snow.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The act tires are new so you may have to ask for them at a local shop I know I did but they were able to get them for me, mounted today and on the griz, will probably take a ride tomorrow or saturday with them to see how they perform. Go to Google and search for Carlisle act radial, best price I found was 331 bucks delivered for tires only. around 600 bucks delivered with aftermarket wheels, but I wanted the stock offset. I got mine from a local dealer for 400 bucks mounted, if I had my tire machine I would have tried to mount them my self but it hasn't arrived yet. They look good will see after some riding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts