Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I need a little help here. The wife has been piloting the Grizz a little bit around here on flat ground and not too technical trails and has decided it is time to have her own rig. She is about 5' tall and, at the risk of dying, the weight is not up for discussion, but she is fairly petite. She wants something she feels more in control of than my grizz and I want a good 4wd rig as we ride in the swamps here and I dont want to spend all the time pulling it out.
My first thought was Kodiak but that seems to be the same size bike with a smaller motor. I am a Yamaha loyalist but a lot of the people we ride with ride Polaris bikes. She is not brand loyal but wants a good ride and I want dependability and funcionality. The local dealer here sales the 4 Japaneese bikes and today we looked at the Artic cat dealer. Uther than just sitting on for fit I would like some suggestions.
I may be wanting something that is not in existance, A Mid-size, fully functional ATV, that works well and is fairly light weight.
All suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
234 Posts
if your not brand specific try the polaris hawkeye its a 300 auto with irs and hi,low and on command 4x4, that said i would still put her on a kodiak or something similar as im a yamaha fantatic and wouldnt buy a po-po if my life depended on it but thats just my $.02

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-ca/ATV/2006Models/Hawkeye/

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
tj i would also go with the kodiak great machine she will grow into it and when shes ready for the grizz give her yours you get new.resale on kodiac will be good.great master plan .my &.02 bob m

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm with bob, I'm impressed with the kodiak. It will go through almost anything the griz will go through in a smaller easy to handle bike(my mom rides a kody and has no problems).

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Kodiak here too, my dad has one and he is 68 yrs old, he pilots it around no problem. They are actually smaller than the grizz, less tall and a bit smaller all around. They are easy to steer and come with all the same features as the grizz, diff lock, high and low range etc. I am not a big fan of Popo's either, too many issues/problems from what I have read. Good Luck........Irv

·
Registered
34 Posts
My wife has a Grizzly, but she realizes now she should have bought a Kodiak.

·
Registered
234 Posts
mwmatzek thats funny my wife used my grizz for the first time this weekend and she loved it, is there some reason that your wife doesnt enjoy her grizz?

brian

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
The Kodiak is a smaller machine, so it could be ideal for her. But get the 450 and not the 400... the extra features and power is well worth it.

If that's still too big, I also suggest the Polaris Hawkeye. I love that little machine, it's way cool.

Rob

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Let her look ar the Wolverine 450, if she prefers the sportier look and lighter weight with a 4X4

·
Registered
34 Posts
Brian, We mainly rock crawl on our machines. Just hard for her to turn if she is running the locker. The kodiak is just a little bit lighter. Oh and she is 5 months pregnant.

·
Registered
234 Posts
ok i understand, we dont do that much rock crawling, so we havent that issue, agian i suggest the hawkeye but think that you may find it underpowered. good luck searching, the best part of looking is seeing what is new out there. hehehe i know i like looking for that exact reason lol

brian

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
My wife rides a Kodiak 450 and it is a great machine. I enjoy riding it as you can throw it around easily and it is stable and reliable.

·
Registered
113 Posts
check this out. kody 450 a great bike!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here she is on one of our trails in Gore, Va. On her Grizz

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the responses. I am taking the wife to the dealership and have a test fit this weekend. Think she is convinced the Kodiak is for her, she just needs some seat time to be sure.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Glad to hear you and the wife have come around LOL. Just make sure it is the 450, it has more options that should help you ride more and pull out less.....Irv

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife is 5'2" and is small in structure and she has a 05' Grizzly and she loves it and handles it very well. We looked at the Kodiak which looks like an awesome machine, but when it came down to it, the weight difference wasn't significant in my opinion and especially the $ tag was not much different then the Grizzly.

We then had the 27" ITP XTR's on ITP 14" rims put on and that helps tremendously with handeling and she litterally floats over the mud.

She goes through the same spots everyone else does and very seldom gets stuck compared to the rest of us. Those big tires are forgiving on the trail as well.

My vote first would be the Grizz, then the Kodiak, then the Wolverine.

Good luck.........

·
Registered
113 Posts
My wife also went for the griz. She has alot of riding time on lesser atvs and didn't want to be left behind. This is her on her sportsman

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would suggest the Kodiak 450. That way she can carry extra fuel for you on long runs for your Grizz or make a fuel run when you need it! I purchased 2 of these (one on order) 3.2 gallon flat ATV gas-packs and they fit nicely on the racks and are stackable:

http://www.montanajacks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=245

I almost got a 450 because of the fuel issue. I DO like the ride and the power of my Grizzly though.

Ron

1 - 20 of 45 Posts