Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After destroying $400.00 worth of equipment while swimming with my Grizzly I deceided to look for an alternative. I flipped my grizzly in a creek. When we got back to the shore the hard case on the back of my Grizzly held the water in (Murphyism: Waterproof cases will only hold water in...not out.) The water destroyed my digital camera, cell phone, and a bunch of other equipment.

Search for the solution: Now that I ride a horse well technically a Grizzly I realized that I no longer have to carry all of my stuff on by back. (As I did with while hiking or riding my Trials Motorcycle) So, I could allow myself a few more ounces of weight.

I went to REI and looked into waterproof cases. They had a fair assortment. The nice part is that I could put the gear I wanted to protect on the foam to see how it would fit. This case cost me about $35.00. They were a little cheaper on the web but I was in a hurry and enjoyed the convenience of inspecting the case before buying. My brother in law said that he has used these cases in the past and has been very happy with them. He said that they are 100% waterproof.

I have attached a picture of the "Pelican" brand waterproof case. I have customized it to hold my more delicate electroics. Bottom: cell phone, Right GPS (even though it is waterproof), Batteries, the hole on the upper left holds my digital camera. It was busy taking the photo at the time of this picture.

Now before I make a questionable water entry I put my electroics in the protective case.

My wife says that I worry too much. I say "Worrying helps, most of the stuff I worry about never happens!!"

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
that looks pretty good,, after years of riding the harley down the road I have learned to put stuff that doesnt like water in zip lock bags,,,cheap and works great,,,,, now I pull a trailer behind the scooter, but still carry the zip-locks just in case,,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,, cg

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes I always have ziplocks with me and double them up everytime I use them. Although you can't beat those Pelican cases.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys.

I had a lot of equipment in zip-lock bags. After many miles of riding the bags had developed holes in them. The corners had rubbed and let water in when I had the swim. My first aid kit, manual, etc were spoiled by the water. I am going to try and "Vaccuum seal" those items with my new food sealer and try them. We got the new food vaccuum sealer for my wife for Christmas. She was thrilled. (I am glad that I could get something for her so thoughtful...I am just that kind on guy.)

The picture is of my first aid kit. The Vaccuum sealer sucked out the air and sealed quite nicely. The only problem is I will have to put the first aid kit in ziploc bags if I use it.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
messed up, sorry

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
i use a vacuum sealer as well it works great and last longer than zip-lock bags.
with any luck you never have to use your first aid kit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
nice ride CG, do ya ever make it up to sturgis?

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
grizfatboy,,,, every year since 98 except in 03 I bought a boat and this year my dad was sick and couldnt make it,,, I go through north platte, then usually to valentine and up,,, some times head west out of north platte,,, kind of a prettier ride,, also pull a trailer now so its not so loaded down,,,, ,,, cg

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I use an "Otterbox" cover for my cell phone/PDA, this prevents crash and water and dust damage.
www.otterbox.com

·
Registered
113 Posts
CG I like the chadron rout better myself. this year we are going to try to combo atv riding in the Nemo area, with the scooter riding the opening weekend.

·
Registered
701 Posts
DGR, thats for this post. I've been wanted to mount small waterproof box to the front rack of my quad to hold my camera and cell phone. I think this will work prefectly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beast, Thanks for the update on the Otter Boxes. It looks like you can still use your PDA throught the front of the box. That makes it very versital. I looked up my PDA/Cell phone combination (Treo 650) and found that they have not perfected a case for that yet.

Can you use your PDA effectively through the front of the case? Can you hear the phone ring?

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
doolin64, I love the case for protecting my camera and phone. We went riding last week and the good/bad news is I could not hear my cell phone through the case. On second thought not hearing my cell phone while I am riding is all "GOOD NEWS". Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
DGR, yes the front flap lifts and you can use the touch screen normally, i just added that blue rubber band to stop the lip flapping in rough riding!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts