Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding my Grizzly through mud in the ditches by my higway and on the edge of my 3 acre pond and never really needed 4wd yet but i've used it a lot just to use it. I've went over a big Pine Tree in my pond and it almost touched my floorboards. I just put it in 4wd differential lock and crawled over it easily and there was mud all around it. It's just freakin' awesome! It's rides so smooth and has all the power you would ever need unless you're crazy and need more. My neighbor ride a Honda Recon 250 and I can keep up with him on my tight trails easily. One time he got stuck in the sand on my trails and I had to get a cable and pull him out. The Grizzly had so much power it started pulling the front end up and it would have pulled it over. Everytime I ride my Grizzly everybody stops and looks hard at it. ATV riding is very popular where I live. Everybody has a Honda Foreman 4x4. I just wanted something different and I got something so much better than a Honda Foreman 4x4.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Getting near 500 miles on my machine now. It still amazes me. Awesom power, incredible low end toqure and a top end I'm not sure I want too see...lol

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I just picked up my new 2005 Grizzly monday night in Flagstaff. What an awsome machine! I want
to tell you guys how much I appreciate this forum as I have been looking and reading for the past
year on what to buy. THis forum has a lot of good, helpful people. Its very refreshing to find a group
that talks fairly about the Grizzly, both good and bad, and thats what new potential buyers like me needed Just a fair honest report. Well I got it here! I check this forum every day for new information. Thank you Rob for creating this site. Doing web work myself I can see how much effort you put into your sites. Greatly appreciated! Anyway thank you all.....

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Congrats Azgrizz, i also used this site when i was trying to decide what quad to buy. I am sure glad i bought the Grizz! Awsome quad to say the least. Welcome to the site and remember the only stupid question is a question that wasn't asked. Fire away about anything! There will always be some one who can help you on here.........Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Welcome aboard AZGrizz. When you are breaking going down a steep hill and you hear knocking underneith, don't worry, it's normal for the Griz.
I think every new Grizzly owner, including myself, has asked that question afraid that their motor was falling out.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Thanks for the info. Hopefully this weekend will be its maiden voyage. Got to take it easy though. I understand the first 20 hours are the most critical. Does it hurt it to drive slow? My brother bought
a polaris and burned the belt up in the first 20 minutes he owned it. They told him he was driving too slow? Any other prep I should be aware of? I've doubled checked all the fluids just to make sure. At 50
years old I feel like a kid, can't hardly stand it!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Welcome to the site!

As far as slow driving I really dont think that would mater, maybe somebody has some advice but don't think I would worry to much about it. The only thing I know when I am driving on the slower side I always like to use low range, think you have better control and maybe also save on the belt some.

Then just make sure you have gas and go out and enjoy :)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
AZgrizz, don't worry about driving slow, just don't drive the same speed for too long. Varying your speed is the best way for break-in, you can give it heck for a few seconds and then let off and drive it at a different speed for a while. Read your owners manual, it has all the proper break-in info in it like after running it for an hour make sure you shut it down for 10 to 15 minutes or so to let it cool off. This is very important! You do not have to worry about the belt or clutch, it is a completely different set-up compared to Polaris. Our belts on the Grizz are always under tension/pressure so belt slippage is non existant. It doesn't matter what gear you are driving in either, I only use low when i am going to go through a nasty mud hole or climb a steep hill. I repeat, just read your manual and enjoy your new quad, you do not need to baby it just don't go to crazy with until it is fully broken in at 20 hrs. Good Luck........Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Irv hit the break in right on. Very your speed and heat cycle. Ride it for an hour then let it cool down. Use all your gears (high, low, 4x4, dif lock, reverse). After a day of that, you should be good to go.
I personally change the oil after the first couple days of break in and replace the drain plug with a magnetic one.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I've read the owners manual several times but the experience of other riders/owners is what I needed. I'll ride and rest it all day tomorrow and get some hours on it then
change the oil. Out here we have a variety of terrain and I planned on taking it easy, I'll be able to ride it in all kinds of situations. This is the most awsome machine, I looked at all the other quads over the last year.
I have no doubt I made the right decision.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
For my break in I took it out on the railraod grade trails where it is flat and smooth. All I did was vary the speeds and let it cool after about a hour of riding. At the millage the book list I changed the oil, so far no problems and running good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts