Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday I was taking a real nice and slow ride with my son, AGAIN!!
I was moving along at about +/- 8km/h when I felt the back end slide and wobble a bit. This Time I knew from experience what it was, I could not believe it happened again 6 weeks later!!

This time it was rear right, last time rear left.

I have been told this can only happen when going very slowly.

So, do not drive SLOWLY, always go faster than 20km/h.

I am really doubting the reliability of the Grizly now, perhaps its time to get a Brute Force? or worse still a KingQuad?

·
Registered
95 Posts
That sucks Beast!

I wonder if the time of week (friday) it was manufactured or time of day has anything to do with your quality issues... I'm not trying to make lite of your problems just want to stay in denile. I've had great luck with mine (knock on wood) and am hoping its just a timing thing.

I recall reading Ymaha had issues with the "03" models, could it be you cought some of the crap parts?

Good luck with the repair bro.

Scott

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Sorry to hear Beast. Sounds like you have a problem there. Maybe this time when you take it in I would tell them to take a look at all of them just to make sure and so they can make a note of it. Well again keep us updated on your progress on getting it fixed and what your dealer has to say about the problem.

Good luck and hang in there on us :)

Mike

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Sorry to hear that Beast! Hopefully your dealer finds something obvious and that it is an easy fix? Hopefully your not off the trails too long? Good luck and keep us posted........Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, I will keep you posted. I asked the dealer if he could get it repaired by friday. I have just bought my older son (14) an LTZ 250 Suzuki and I would like to collect it from the dealer and take him for an outride.

I do not know if any of you have seen how the rear axle/CV/drive shafts fit?

on the Left/Right rear drive shaft axles, on the inner end (Diff side) all that holds the axle in place is a circlip (perfectly round). The way to assemble, is to put the circlip on, lubricate it, and push it in, the circlip compresses, alows the axle to slide into place, and pops back to it's uncompressed shape. all it takes to come out is to reverse this procedure.
So if your diff oil is fresh, and you travel slowly on an uneven suface, it just pops out. simple!! no problem!!

Except all your diff oil drains out and now you have a big problem!!

I spoke to 3 different dealers mechanics, and they tell me 1 in 4 Grizzly's get a replaced rear diff in their first year!!

Apparently, Gorilla Axles have capitalised on this, and made an axle with a secure retaining clip, that can not pop out!! it is not round!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Beast
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Your're not alone. I've had my fair share of problems w/ the Grizz. I love my Grizz but everytime I take it out for a ride, I don't feel confident that I'll make it back home. My buddies make wise cracks at me because many times we went for a ride, something always happens to my bike.

I love my bike, but loosing faith :(

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I know the feeling!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The solution is a little flat o ring under the snap ring get these from gorilla there cheep and solve the problem.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Can you be more specific on this cheap fix? Where to order? What it is called? Install procedure? Have you done this yourself or just heard of it

Jim

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes please TMAXXSTAR,some more info please...

By the way guys, no spares in stock in SA, need to wait 4 weeks for a CV joint to arrive!!

No riding

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have not had a problem with my axles so i haven't done this yet (knock on wood). but a friend of mine got a set of axles from gorilla and they come with a set of flat "O" rings that go in the groove under the cerclip that hold the axle in. if you call them they will send a set. i am sure that any small ring will work. what it does is acts like a spring to hold the cerclip out when it is in place. making it harder for the clip to be compressed and popping out all the time. but inturn making them harder to install and remove when needed for service but doable.
i hope this helps.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah but isnt the Gorilla axle a completely different part than the stock one? It is alot more than just changing an O-ring I would assume.

Jim

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spoke to my mechanic at the Yamaha dealer today, I have been informed that Yamaha SA will repair under warranty. They say when the back left CV goes, both rear CV's must be changed as the right normally goes soon after. This is exactly what happened to me. I spoke to them about a "band" under the circlip to increase the outward pressure, they said they would look into it. In the mean time I have to wait 4-6 weeks for spares from the US or Japan.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Glad to hear that Yammy is going to fix your ride again Beast, that is great news! The bad part of course is the wait! Hopefully something will get rolling sooner rather than later?........Irv

·
Registered
34 Posts
it is a different part but the way they'er held into the diff. is the same. it's just beefer and replaces the cercip with a c clip.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope to get the Beast back this Saturday. They say the part will arrive on Thursday!

I need my Grizz back, the Suzuki LTZ250 (son's) is killing my old body!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Now I know why we need to send more money to Africa, so we can help the beast take care of that axle problem! You know beast I see you have toys just like I do, why is Africa asking for aide from the US? I don't get it???

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
because we can?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Probably because the majority of the country is very poor. But some people seek work and bust there butt to get toys like Beast. Just my thought.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts