Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday I was taking a real nice and slow ride with my son, AGAIN!! I was moving along at about +/- 8km/h when I felt the back end slide and wobble a bit. This Time I knew from experience what it was, I could not believe it happened again for the third time now, this time both axles came out. This Quad is a death trap!!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Man Beast I don't know what to even say, just that I think I would be on the phone to my dealer telling them they need to get this problem solved. Sorry to hear.

Mike

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike,

Last two times they just replaced the inner CV, first left, then right.
Now they have removed the entire rear diff, drive shaft and axles/cv's and sent it off to Yamaha Technical.
Yamaha Importers here in South Africa say I am the first person ever to have axle damage on a Grizzly!!! can you believe that?

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Beast,

That is no good mate. I think you should be able to put some real pressure on the dealer, to get this sorted in double time (air freight etc).

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kodiak660,

The C clips are part of the CV joint kit, Both have been replace with new OEM parts and they only lasted 3 weeks or +/- 150km !!

I thought about getting a King Quad instead, but I hear it has Reverse Gear problems and wheel bearing problems.

I thought of getting Brute Force instead, but I hear the front A Arms fall apart, the steering column falls apart, and also you can not reverse in 4x4 (not much help when you stuck)

I thought about getting a Polaris, but then I remmembered I have one and hate it, worst designed bike on earth!! I'd rather give up quadding than buy another piece of *@#$% from them.

So I am stuck with my Grizzly!!

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Hey beast,,, a little off topic here, would it be possile for you to post some pics of your warn bumber,,,, am interested as to how it bolts on, does it just use the original bumber to bolt to ,,, if so is it any stronger than stock,,, I think they look good, but hate to spend money if it is relying on the orignal for support,,,, thanks,,,, cg

·
Registered
78 Posts
Beast I wouldnt worry about the King Quad reverse.....its been updated to a bearing and not a bushing now.
And I havent heard a thing about bad wheel bearings.....and I ride with 2 guys with em and one guy has close to 2,000 miles on his with no issues.
Sorry to hear about the axle problem......the lands that the clips pop into must not be right....or the axles arnt getting snapped all the way in for some reason.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Country grizz,

The Warn bumper is just a "bolt on" plate, 4 bolts and 2 plates hold it onto the stock bumber. All you do to fit it, is 1) remove the two plastic stock bumper end caps 2) place the warn bumper on top of the stock one, 3) align the two plates and bolt on, (pressure holds it in place)

Sorry no photo's, I have no bike!!

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
ok,,, no problem on the photos,,, that is pretty much what I was wanting to know,,,,, not sure if Im going that way or make my own,,, I made the one on my toyota,,, think I might make a smaller one like it,,,, thanks again,,, cg

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to see how the Beast is doing at the shop, They are going to change the CV's again and the centre Diff Gears this time.

Any of you who have seen the components will see the design flaw.

The centre diff gear, where the CV's click into, have a tapered lip, in order to let the Cv come out easier!

This lip should be machined to 90 degrees and not 45 degrees.

The other problem is that the circlip recesses into a square recess as oposed to a circular recess, hence the CV's pop out.

If this has not happened to you yet, it is most likely that either...

You do not drive on uneven sufaces with holes at speeds less than 10km/h.

You have had it blamed on aftermarket tyres and rims.

Hold thumbs!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I dont think you would be able to pull an axle out of the diff if it was at 90 degrees.
And my grizz has close to 4,900 miles of rough riding and never had an axle pop out.....my old Kodiak (2000 model 4x4) had the same system up front and never had an axle pop out in 7,500 miles.
I think the center of your diff snuck thru quality control and was bad from the get go.

·
Registered
462 Posts
ive had mine for a year and a half (bought in May 2004),and i havnt had any problems with anything that wasnt my fault

i also know 3 other grizz owners,all older than mine,and they too have been problem free,and i wouldnt say the terrain here in West Virginia is easy on bikes by no means

i do agree somewhat about the polaris's,,,i know several Polaris owners,and NONE of them can keep CV joints in their bikes,,,,i call em "clickers",and this was the reason i made the switch to Yamaha from Polaris,,and am very thankful that i made the choice that i did,my Grizz has impressed all of the Polaris owners that i ride with,,,they still say its because of the mods,,,and i say "and how many CV joints have you replaced since i bought this bike?"

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi HooPharted,

There is no doubt with Yamaha that the Grizzly and Rhino have a problem with axles popping out. Please understand we are not talking about axles breaking (normally oversize tyres or abuse) and we are not talking about CV breaking or clicking (like the Polaris) we are talking about the CV circlip failing and allowing the axle to gently slide out of the CV joint at VERY SLOW SPEED, it has on occasion slipped out whilst parked on a trailer!!! THAT IS NOT NEGLIGENCE!!

Also Yamaha South Africa sold 65 Grizzlies in 2004. The spare department supplied 142 CV joints as spares in the same time. YOU WORK IT OUT!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
is it an '04 specific problem,or a 660 grizz problem in general,this is the first ive heard of this

·
Registered
462 Posts
i understood what you all were talking about,but i dont understand why its an issue with some bikes,and not others

Beast,,,Artic Cat is coming out with a 800 in '06,and i heard they are the most reliable made bikes,,,i'm not sure of the availability in south africa

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The problem started in 04 with "popping axles". Prior to 04 axles used to snap and break in two, especially the 03 model.

The problem is a bad fundamental design flaw, the grizzly CV is the same style as a Volkswagen Beetle, a mere flimsy circlip against a 45 degree angle spline, with plently lubricant, is all there is to stop it falling out. Take your wheel off, undo the A-Arm, and you can get a five year old girl to pull out the axle in 2 seconds!

do a search on this site, using the key word "axle" and you can see the extent of the problem, as BONEZ5 or SAILORMAN3 or TANGRIZ or SouthArkGrizz or nwillenborg1 or TRIPLEdam (have personally had there axles pop, multiple axles or multiple times.

or Grizzly NJ or doolin64 to share their experiences with this problem. Yamaha does not dispute the problem, they are just battling with a sollution.

Quick fix is never ride slower then 10km/h on a very rough surface!

PS, I also thought I was invincible on a flawless ATV, then this happened.

Any way 6 CV's later and one rear diff, 4 sets of circlips, shimms and a drive gear later, my Grizz seems fine!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
The Arctic Cat is the biggest POS I've ever seen. Weak frame (my buddy actually broke his in half! and another one was so bent up they had to pull it straight between two trees), it is a little wider than most quads so you clip alot of trees in tight areas, and another one blew an engine. All my riding buddies had the Arctic Cat and all have since gone to the Suzuki King Quad which they all love.

Jim

·
Registered
462 Posts
really,,,,i heard artic cats were suppose to be good bikes,,,a freind of mine says he wants one really bad,and he doesnt usually buy junk,,guess i'll have to mention it to him this weekend

Beast,does the problem persist with upgraded axles?,i have gorrillas,,,so far i never had one pop out with the stockers,or the Gorrilas as yet (cross's fingers)

1 - 20 of 109 Posts