Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again guys ,, Having alot of problems with this machine lately,, arhh,, Every once in a while when i drive it ,, it would let out a POP ,, little backfire out thru the carb AND sometimes blow the carb off the intake !!!!!!! ,, so i bought a Carb rebuild kit and put in it today,, ,, now it backfires all the time,,,and blows the carb off still,,, Never even driven it yet cause it keeps backfiring and blowing carb off ,,& does n e one know what to set the JET NEEDLE clip at and what washers go under the clip ??? I set it to the 3rd ridge where the old one was with the thick plastic washer under it ,,,,

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE ,, never mind guys ,, i was out setting the needle from the top notch right to the bottom notch no diff ,,, she just backfired and caught fire ,, now im trying to fix all the hoses & wires ,, etc THAN putting all the OLD carb parts back in

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Holy crap Grizzman,

That is a bit rough, I hope you get the machine sorted, as for the back fire through the carb, could it be the valves need adjusting?

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys ... got all the hoses & wires fixed ,, Put all the old Carb parts back in and it still Backfires ,, so i guess its not the carb ,,

Hey interceptor ,, i check the Valves the other day for something to do and they were fine ,, i never had to touch them ,,, so now i have no clue to why it backfires all the time ,, Other than if it Jumped its timing ?????

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Only a question but did you change your spark plug? That could be the cause of your back-fires? If not, I would also say your timing is way off. Good Luck.......Irv

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I would, I have had brand new ones go funky as soon as they were installed. Hope that is the problem? Good Luck........Irv

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
For the engine to back fire through the carby the valves would have to be open when the cylinder fires, so I would try a compression test. You may find that an inlet valve is either sticking or the valve clearence is out.

Do the 600's have a timing chain, if so it ma be streched and thus your timing could be out.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK interceptor i will try to get ahold of a comp tester OR just buy one and try that ,,,Ya the 600's have a timing chain ,,, Another thing ,, i was trying to find out when i bring it up to TDC where the Cam is suppose to be with the crank ,, there is a PLUG so u can see where the Flywheel TDC mark is but i dont know where it is for the CAM ,, there is a black plug for that two,, but since i dont know where to line CAM up with,,doesnt help me,,, BUT when i brought it up to TDC i took off all the Valve covers and all the Valves had play,,so i figure all the valves are shut ( for when the engine fires)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
--- HEY GUYS Found what the Problem was ,,,, the Rubber Boot that clamps the Carb to the Intake was Ripped about an Inch ,,, almost under the Clamp ,, i took the Carb off prob for the 100 th time lol and when i took the Clamp off the boot i seen a tare on the inside ,, when i stuck my finger inside to check ,,it went right thru the boot !!!! soo for now i rapped some electrical Tape around it til i get a new one,,, Machine works **** of better now !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Glad you got the rig sorted GM.

Looks Good, Hope you did not do too much damage with the fire.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey ,, no melted some hoses and the wiring harness plastic ,, so Not as bad as thought ,, n e way ordered a new INTAKE boot and put it on and been driving for the last few days with no problems ,, BUT BUT.. now tonight i went on a run with some friends and it popped again and blew Carb off !!!! Its bogging out ,, than it'll work good ,, AND when i shut machine off for a few minutes than start it up and take off its hesitates ,, Boggy,, for about 30 sec than works fine ,,, ,,, this is starting to get annoying ,, the problems the problems !!!!!!!!!! now i gotta try to figure this out again ,,,, oh ya and the Intake boot is good so it gotta be something else ,,,this time !!! arrrhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i check over everything again ,,,,to find out the Frigg'n intake VALVES went tight ,, i couldnt even get a .002" gauge inbetween them !!!!!,, so after setting them to spec,,.004 ,, the machine is working good again !!!! yeeeaaAA !!!! ,,,,,,,now lets see how long before it F's up again !!!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Glad to hear you got everything figured out, hopefully it runs good for a long time...........Irv

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
arhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,, went for a run again today ,,, after about an hr of riding ,, just out of the blue ,, POP !! off come the carb !!!! raaaaaa i dont know what the heck it doing ,,,, SEEMS like when it gets hot(or up to operating Temp) it starts blowing the Carb off ,,,-discussed-,,,..,., I guess im gonna have to give in and take it to a dealer and have it serviced SO i can find out from the "so called Pro's" what the **** is wrong with this thing ,,,

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
G Man,

Just check the valves again, maybe they just worked loose. If you did them up tight and still come loose maybe some locktite or something?

Just seems odd that it ran great for an hour then popped it off again.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey interceptor ,,, checked the Valves again today ,, there good ,,they never worked loose ,, & still @ spec ,,,...,, Took er for a spin today too ,, Carb only blew off once !!!!! ,,,, seems weird how i can start it and drive for a while , than it'll blow off ,, than when i put it back into boot may be able to drive for hrs before it'll blow off again !!???!!??!!! But this evening only blew off once !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
G Man ,
you need to take a look at you cam lobes if your lobes are worn you will pop throught he carb on accel exspecially if your exhaust cam lobe is worn

good luck

1 - 20 of 34 Posts