Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 bout 6 weeks old and my battery went dead. all stock and I leave the key out of it. ride it a few times each week for about half an hour or so. If someone wouldnt mind taking some readings for me I would appreciate it.

On my machine I got 12.5 vdc with the motor running, when I turn on the headlights it drops to 11.9 vdc. In my opinion both voltages are too low to recharge...in a car the voltage should be around 13.8 with the motor running.

Can someone take some voltage readings for me please. the Grizzly .pdf file I downloaded covers troubleshooting the battery but uses an involved open circuit test using an ameter, I just wanna know if the **** altenator is charging properly.

I remember someone else with a new Grizz saying something about his batt going dead too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did about a 4 hour trickle charge, when i first started the Batt was 11.0 vdc, got it up to 12.48 after sitting for a half hour off the charger. gonna start it up to see if there is any diff in the charging circuit....shouldnt make a diff tho.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after the battery has recieved a full charg and sat over night I get 13.5 charging and 12.9 with the lights on. I have been riding with the lights on a lot due to the fact that when I come up out of the woods I'm on the road of the neighborhood. I'll check with the dealer to see if the 6/10ths of a voltage drop with the lights on is normal for this system. I would think it should hold a regulated voltage load or no load.

this may require more beer than I thought to solve this riddle batman.

yes I do talk to myself alot...and answer.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
grizzniz,,, at least when your taking to yourself you can remember the name of the person your talking to,,, when I seen your post yesterday I was going to take a reading off mine,,, and forgot,,, and forgot again today,,,, I will try for later,,,,,,,, ,,,,,, cg

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
see if this works:

thanks for taking up for me...god bless ya CG, I know first hand you Okie folks are OK! :)

I honestly think that runnning the headlights is what eventually killed the batt, not sure why the big drop in voltage when they're on but, 12.9 vdc may not be enough to replinish the batt. I wonder if I have an altenator prob...if not what happens when you add a set of driving lights??? or the winch is in use?? am I asking too many questions? is this thing on?? hello?

I do know if your batt drops below 9 volts during cranking it aint gonna crank long...

someone else in here was having trouble with this but I cant remember who, suffering from CRS these days. (Cant Remember 5hit).

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
ok nizzzz,,, finally remembered to get your readings,,,,

14.41---idle and some throttle,,, no difference between the two

14.26---with stock lights on

13.95---with warn light on (35 watt)

13.86---with stock and warn lights on

13.92---with aftermarket H3's on

12.60---with all lights on,,,,,,

hope this helps,,, I never thought to get a reading with it not running,, but it is a 12volt batt... so if I was a betting man,, I would guess it is around 12 volts,,,,,,let me know if you want a reading not running and I should get it to you in another month or so,,,, ,,,,, ,,,, cg

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no need for that second "monthly test" there CG and THANK YOU VERY MUCH. those readings sound very normal, I will check mine again but I never saw anything over 13.5, the fact yours was started at 14.4 sounds like there is plenty of charging power, with all the lights it drops down to 12.6 that is def in the danger zone but as long as you dont ride like that very much means you will be ok. I will def have to ask the dealer when I go in to check it out, didnt figure the batt should go dead from running the lights but now I see why after your voltage readings, I know thats a pain to take those readings so thanks again CG! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts