Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Grizz and have installed a K & N filter and outerwares pre filter.
I am not pleased with the stock body where it seats as the foam gasket seems cheap and breaks. I had to make a Wal-Mart fix with weatherstripping at the Rocky mountain ATV Jam this year.
Any thoughts/ideas or other filter recommendations would be appreciated. (Dura Blue/UNI/etc?)
Also thoughts on K & N vs others in a very dirty area such as the Paiute Trail. I heard some say that the K & N doesn't woprk well in extreme dust. ???

·
Registered
339 Posts
First no matter which filter you choose I highly suggest getting a Pro Design billet aluminum adapter and your choice of filter to fit the adapter. The adapter fastenes to your stock air box and allows you to use a filter that attaches with a clamp. With this set-up there is no way for air to enter without going through the filter. It has been awhile since I bought my adapter so I don't remember the price but it is in the $100 neighborhood with filter.

There are allot of discussions about which filter is better and even studies that show each one is better than the other. Regardless of which filter you use if it is not maintained properly then it is not doing it's job. I have both a K&N and UNI for my Grizz. I have more throttle response with the K&N so it must breathe better but even though I have a pre-filter on it I do not run it in the dry/dusty season. My UNI filter also has a foam pre-filter over it so even looking at it you can see why if does not breathe as well as the K&N.

·
Registered
462 Posts
DKNARD is right

the stock setup is weak,,,,and just because K&N makes a replacement doesnt make it any better,,,,you have to go to the Pro Air K&N setup where you mount the flange to your airbox,and the differant style K&N Filter is used,,,,the differance is the new filter is clamped onto the flange,and once you install it you will see where nothing can get by it

one thing i'll say for Polaris,all of there bikes come from the factory with the "Flange" style setup,,,,Yamaha really dropped the ball with that weak slide in set up that fits real sloppy

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
There are 3 discussions that have caused countries to go to war. Religion, politics and which is better, K&N or foam filters. There is no right answer to any of these. Maintenance is the key. The filter alone will not catch all the dirt, you need the oil on it to catch the fine particles. On another forum one guy said he has had his K&N on his quad for a year and has not had to clean it. That's because there is no oil on it and all the fine dust is going through to the motor.
You want your filter to be dirty, that means it's catching all the dirt.

Even the pros can't decide what is better between K&N and foam. If they could, everybody on the MX and cross country circuits would be using the same thing.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
If you really want to know if your filter is working, take it off and run your finger around the inside of the air boot. If you have dirt on your finger then dirt is getting into your motor. Also you may want to re-think your filter cleaning procedures or the set-up in general.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have a Dura Blue dual foam filter, the airbox connector is plastic and not aluminum.
I have had it for about a year and it is great, good performance, easy to clean/maintain. I would strongly reccomend it. (note Banshee and Grizzly use the same filter box)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts