Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a set of tires that is good for trails (sand, loose dirt, steep hills and hardpark conditions) and good for mud and water. What is the absolute best all-around tire for all conditions? I am thinking about buying 25" ITP Mud Lites.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Mudlites seem the most popular, good ride on hard pack but still perform good in mud plus not as heavy tire as the other ones out there.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I heard Mud bugs last longer and are a little better than the mudlites...Irv

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you are going with 25" then I would say get the Bugs simply because they will have the more agressive (tall) lug in the 25", but now that I am thinking about it I guess the Lites now come with tall lugs in 25" also. Either one is a very good tire, the Lites may wear a little faster for some people who are heavy on the throttle and ride allot of sharp rocks. I have about 800 miles on a set of 26" lites and they are still in excellent shape, probably 90+ percent tread left.

The one thing I don't like about either the Bugs or Lites is they are not as tall as you would expect them to be. My 26's were just a little over 25" when new with the weight of the machine on them. I also have a set of 25" lites and they are about 24" tall.

For all around use you will find it almost impossible to beat the Big Horns. The 25" Big Horns are as tall as my 26" lites if not a bit taller when compareing them side to side. Only downfall on the Big Horns are they are heavy, the 25" Horns will weigh more than the 26" Lites or Bugs.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Now to throw in another option, I think they are making the new the XTR MudLite in 12" that would be a nice radial plus mud tire to have.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am deciding between the ITP Mud Lites, Maxxis Big Horns, Carlisle Badlands and I will look at the Mud Bugs. It will be awhile before I buy any tire though. I have to save up because I have to pay for my New Grizzly!!! Ha Ha

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Bighorns baby !!!
26"

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I prefer the the Dirt Devils over the Mud Lights. Almost the exact same tire but you can usually find the Devils for a little less coin.
We saved almost a hundred bucks per quad going with the Devils over the Lights. I'm sure if I had been looking for the Lights I could have found them cheaper.
If you want the deeper lugs you do have to go with at least a 26" tire where they Lights have a 25" tire with deep lugs now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
25" bighorns are a great tire for all around, being a radial is just another plus.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You were very smart to keep the stock rims on. It's just way too much money to pay for ITP rims.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have Maxxiss Bighorn Radials in the 25" size and would strongly reccommend them!

·
Registered
224 Posts
The ITP rims are GREAT for getting you more stable and they are supposedly stronger than the stockers...

With that said, If I was to do this over I would get 26" 589's and put them on stock rims...instead of my ITP type 5's with 26" mudlites...

don't get me wrong the mudlits are good tires but just don't have the "bite" I was used to on my 27" 589's...those were the BEST tire ever. I put 2000 miles on them (on my rubicon) and had very little wear. Most of my riding was rocks and mud...

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
doolin, that looks like the same tire/wheel combo I have. Are those 25 or 26 inch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts