Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

Best Wax for Plastic?

33K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Doesnt.Matter 
#1 ·
After washing with Meguiar's The Gold Class" Car Wash I just started to wax my new green Grizz with Meguiar's "The Gold Class Paste Wax" However, I stopped because I was getting small circular scratches when I wiped the dried wax off with a terry cloth towel. That Yamaha plastic is touchy stuff. The car wash beaded up nice and I should have stopped there.

So what is the best plastic wax out there?

I know this is an ATV (I have just 1.4 hours on it) and I like to use it but take care of it. I already have scuff marks from friends and family jumping on it and scuffing their shoes and boots over the front of the rear fenders.

Thanks

#2 ·
ATVrk, I use "Plexus" plastic cleaner, protectant & polish. It comes in a can and can be bought at most motor-cycle shops I believe? Check out www.PlexusPlasticCleaner.com I have had good luck with it and the more coats you get on the better it protects. When your waxing or cleaning make sure what ever it is your using is clean and soft and there is no need to use excessive pressure, just wipe it on and off gently. No matter what you use though, you are never going to get all the scratches and scuffs marks off. It is a quad and if you want to enjoy it to its full potential you just have to get use the scratches and scuffs. Good Luck.........Irv

#3 ·
Thanks Irv. I will take a look at the Plexus site right now.

The wax I used, gently, left a haze that is noticably a lighter green than the original dark green. Of course I had to start with the fuel tank and yes I did think about possible problems before I started.

No big deal, but that is not why I was spending time to wax the rig. The sun out here fades colors quickly and I've seen faded green Grizzlys and prefer not to have that too soon. I will have plenty of "desert pinstripes" from the thorny shrubs and cacti out where I live.

I am just one of those guys that detailes all his vehicles, (also my government work rigs) including washing the engines, putting Armorall on most underhood parts including air intake ducts, all rubber parts, radiator hoses,weatherstripping, etc...I know!

I would have detailed my tricycle had I known there was such a thing when I was a kid. I started with my first bicycle.

Ron

#22 ·
Thanks Irv. I will take a look at the Plexus site right now.

The wax I used, gently, left a haze that is noticably a lighter green than the original dark green. Of course I had to start with the fuel tank and yes I did think about possible problems before I started.

No big deal, but that is not why I was spending time to wax the rig. The sun out here fades colors quickly and I've seen faded green Grizzlys and prefer not to have that too soon. I will have plenty of "desert pinstripes" from the thorny shrubs and cacti out where I live.

I am just one of those guys that detailes all his vehicles, (also my government work rigs) including washing the engines, putting Armorall on most underhood parts including air intake ducts, all rubber parts, radiator hoses,weatherstripping, etc...I know!

I would have detailed my tricycle had I known there was such a thing when I was a kid. I started with my first bicycle.

Ron
Hey man, I just wanted to let you know your not alone with that. Ive always kept up with detailing any vehicle I owned, wether it was a car, or my bicycle. No bull ****. And actually I'm now starting a mobile detailing business for golf carts and I'll probably include atv's and dirt bikes as Well.

#4 ·
Man, that is expensive polish Irv.

I will likely purchase it but I don't have a place right now to send something UPS right now that does not charge a holding fee of $10.00.

I guess the website is the only way to get Plexus?

#5 ·
LOL ATVrk, you sound just like me when it comes to keeping things looking good, I get get teased all the time that I am going to wash the paint right off my truck and quad! I use to work at a place called Auto Pride Professional cleaning centre and the boss would give me sh!t for spending to much time on vehicles!
Yea, it is a little pricy but worth it IMO. You should be able to purchase it at most motorcycle shops I would think? It is made the USA. It is readily available here in Canada at the local Canadian tire store(Auto zone type store)and my dealer. I can get the bigger can at my dealer for $13 bucks minus 20% Canadian. The can lasts a decent time though, you don't need very much....Irv

#6 ·
ATVrk, It's a good thing wanting to keep your Grizz looking great.... BUT!!!.... don't let it get in the way of enjoying it. Don't ever forget it is an off road machine as oposed to a road machine! Off road machines get cleaned after every ride as part of a good maintenance schedule/check up. Polish and off road just leads to "heart sore" owners!!!

I'ts gonna scratch/scuff and the plastic will dull, better get used to it now!

I use PREPSOL for a good clean and I never polish, especially the seat (I like to stay on it!)

#7 ·
Ha Ha you guys sound like me for detailing. Both me and my wife's quard get rode to have fun but when it is all over they always get cleaned and detailed.

BTW just got done with clay bar, polish, and waxing plus interior detail on my 06 F150...lol it never ends. Also if it matters the wax I use on my vehicles and quads is mail order from Griot's Garage. For quick details on the quad I use Honda Spray Polish.

#8 ·
ATVrk and Extreme, you guy's got to check out this site! It has everything covered for keeping vehicles and such detailed to the max. I haven't been on here in a while but I think you have to register like this site? You guys should enjoy this, I know I did.............Irv

http://www.autopia.org/

#9 ·
Check this out and read about it.

http://www.montanajacks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPRODGROUP&ID=4

I bought some but have not yet used it.

#10 ·
I was reading at another site how some guys are using Mop-n-Glo. I'm thinking of trying it, a hard durable finish, has possibilities.

#11 ·
IRV nice site but been a memeber for a few years now..lol but thanks anyway. Alot of good tips and trics to use on their but some of them guys are still a little more obsessed than me :)

I have herd of the Mop-n-Glo but never tried it, I know on my Honda's that we owned I used to use Armoural(sp?) and left a real nice shine but alot of people were saying after time it was fading the plastic bad. I sold them so really not sure if it was or not.

#12 ·
Ok,,,,,I used spray can "Black Magic" tire wet. Washed the bike real good, sprayed it all over, let it "foam off" then wiped it down, and the blue grizz was as shiny as new.. There is a little residue, so I'm sure it will be a dust magnet, but it looks good now!!

#13 ·
all i use is pledge and a soft cloth. cheap & fast then usually a day later i find more mud

#15 ·
That's the great thing about the camo, the scratches don't show. But that doesn't keep me from keeping it clean. Well, most of the time.

#16 ·
Try Turtle Wax F2i protectant .... not the wax. All the guys I ride with here use it and it's amazing. Nice thing is you can get it anywhere. Makes your bike shine like crazy. All the dull and faded spots shine like new again. After a day out on the trails, all you need to do is power wash the mud off and it looks like new ... you guys have to try it.

Craig

#20 ·
Tractor Boy, Army Guy,

They both look great, I reckon "ridem hard, givem a tub and get them ready for next time"

If polishing and detailing them rocks your boat then that is OK too.

Cheers Noel

Reactions: Doesnt.Matter
#21 ·
actually i never clean mine, but i was at the store byin some beer and a guy pulled up next to me and his grizz was clean on the back of his truck so i decided to give it a shine. lol i didnt even clean the wheels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.