Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Siloam Cycle in Siloam Springs, AR sold me a 2005 Grizzly back in July I believe. I had it a while and didn't ride it much after I found out I was pregnant. I kept it garaged for a while. I had a miscarriage in October...so I got to ride it about 2 weeks later.

I went to Disney Dam area in Disney, OK and was riding it down a hill after 6 other riders went down it...it was my turn. I will state that I am the type of person that if I cannot travel a hill or passage, I WILL NOT DO IT!!! I started to go down the hill and was using the brakes...but found out the brakes weren't helping me! I ended up with no brakes and I flipped my new 05 Grizzly 3 times. It landed over me and I fell into a washout. I didn't get but scratches and bruises thankfully...it could have been worse!

We flipped the Grizzly over and noticed no leaks of any kind. Needless to say, the Grizzly was taken back and put on the trailer. It sat on the trailer til we took it in to siloam cycle. No leaks under it once again upon arrival there. The owners had a young man from the shop unload it from the truck. He sat on the seat and was getting unloaded and he hit the brakes. He looked at the owner and said there's nothing here! She just looked at him. They took it into the shop and said for us to wait til they look at it.

They called 3 times with 3 different stories. We heard it blew a fitting and the vent on the master cyldiner was leaking or it was pushing the fluid through it. We discovered they weren't going to help us, so we called Yamaha Corp. They told us to take it straight from siloam to another dealer of our choice. We drove it straight to Bill Eddy's of Fayetteville.

Before we left, the shop manager said, "There is nothing wrong with it. It has brakes and it is trail ready." I asked him if he thought it had enough brakes to go trail riding and he said, "Yes!" I told him that I didn't agree with him and he just smirked. I told him we were taking it elsewhere. He didn't charge us a thing for having it looked at it in his shop, so we went to Fayetteville.

Bill Eddy's said that siloam cycle in fact let in leave thier shop with no brake fluid. Bill Eddy's was really shocked that a dealer let it leave "trail ready" with no brake fluid. Bill Eddy's got in touch with Yamaha and told them the situation. Bill Eddy's fixed the machine at a cost to us....which was fine because we trusted them!

We never got an answer from siloam cycle or Yamaha. We took the machine home and have only ridden it maybe 3 times since. We have noticed the back brakes needed filled the other day. To this day, we still aren't happy with the brakes or the fluid levels.

We called Yamaha yesterday and we have to take it back to a dealer we trust. We are taking it to Bill Eddy's today and not siloam cycle! Yamaha has basically asked us what we want out of the deal. Bill Eddy's is going to help us access the situation.

I love my Grizzly. I loved the 02 one I bought from siloam cycle. siloam cycle just didn't have very good after sale customer relations. Sherry knew of the situation and still let us leave under bad circumstances. We never got any type of calls or contact of any nature. For a local dealer of ours, we are having to go the extra miles to find someone we can trust.

I am very disappointed with siloam cycle. I have a little girl that I am going to buy a little Grizzly for, but I won't be doing it there. My luck and hers, they won't fill the brake fluid or when brought into the shop, they won't do the necessary work.

I still am not finished with the whole situation. After Bill Eddy's and Yamaha Corp gets it fixed up, we're going to make sure this doesn't happen again. I have been in contact with the US Safety Commission and Better Business Bureau. I just don't want this to happen to anyone else. I could have gotten killed out there that day! I am just very lucky and I want to make sure when a dealer or shop needs to do repairs and are told to do the repairs that they do them.

Dawn

This happened last October and I am still having problems with my Grizzly and its brakes. Anyone have suggestions??

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I'm glad you didn't get hurt too bad. Sounds like that had disaster written all over it.
Did they determine it was because they didn't put any brake fluid in it when you bought it, or did it leak out somehow. also, was it both front and rear breaks?
I know that sometimes you need to bleed the breaks several times to get all the air out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Glad it wasnt worse.
If it were me I would tell them you want new masters and calipers on everything.
Plus new pads.....all the hoses should be fine but if they are willing to replace them to keep you happy have them replace them too.....that will give you a new complete brake system.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OH no...we really haven't gotten Yamaha to do anything...YET! I think we finally have a Rep coming in to look at it this weekend or so when I get it back to Siloam Cycle. They have changed owners and shop managers and they are more willing to listen and satisfy a customer. We'll see what happens...but before no one was willing to really do anything...except for the brake service we paid for...after the accident...

I'm really disappointed with the after sales service of Yamaha...but I still love that **** machine...LOL!

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
probably a little far out there, but I think I would ask for a different machine,,,, I would hate to pay the price they want and have a beat up machine no fault of my own,,,,I know they dont look new forever,,, how many miles and hours on it when this happened,,,,,maybe if they think it is trail ready you need to get them to go riding with you and trade off,,,, be sure and take a camara,,,, ,,,,, ,,,, cg

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Well just glade to hear you are allrirght, I know when you have a bad dealer experience it tends to spoil the whole fun of your new machine. I would just make sure that when they say it is all fixed and ready to go that you make sure you see them use the brakes while in the parking lot just to make sure they are working, also you might want to give it a try also. Maybe try to get some new plastic out of the deal, if the brakes were working you would have never have all the trouble you have now. Hope it all works for you!

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I only had it about a couple of weeks after I bought it. I found out I was pregnant, so I didn't ride it hardly at all...putting around in yard. I had a miscarriage and decided to ride 2 weeks later. That's when it happened...so the machine to me was still very very NEW.

We are taking it back to the shop this Friday and hopefully will find out something. Yes, we tried to get a new machine and that is like pulling teeth. I agree that I don't want to pay for something that was an accident waiting to happen. I think the part that made me the most mad was when the shop let us take it home "trail ready" and we took it to another shop and they said it still didn't have brake fluid in it!!! I think right then when Yamaha Corp heard about that they should have replaced the machine and took care of Siloam Cycle at that time.

Since they have changed owners, I haven't been in there. They have a new shop manager, so I hope I can report something nice after tomorrow. I know Yamaha is sending a representative down to look at my machine...so let's hope this time everything will be taken care of.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I don't think a lawsuit would go far because she owned it for almost 6 months before the accident, but any reputable dealership should be happy to fix it. Not to mention it should still be under warenty. Breaks fall under drivetrain don't they.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A woman got in a wreck because the dealer didnt put brake fluid in the quad.......I would say she would stand a real good chance in a law suit.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may have personally owned it for around 6 months, but I didn't ride it due to the fact of a pregnancy at the time. It sat in the garage...mileage/hours would have shown that at the time of the accident.

Shop never offered any type of repair work under warranty. I had to pitch out my own money to have brakes looked at by another shop...after I left their shop "trail ready"...LOL!

Anyways, I took the Grizzly back to the shop per Yamaha Corp...the shop wasn't happy to see us again. They were like what's the problem again? I think they acted like we were being a pain in their butt and not vice versa. Finally, they called the Yamaha Corp and was told to break the machine down per Yamaha. I think a rep will be out Tuesday to look at it fully.

Updates soon...hopefully good news...

Dawn

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a photo...

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It flipped over me 3 times and I landed in that washout. Above the washout, it was a hill and I fell off to the left and it flipped sideways and down into that washout. Luckily, the Grizzly snagged a tree and it stopped before it had the chance to fall to a bigger drop.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Your a lucky girl Dawn!! It could have been nasty? I would chase this issue until you're 100% satisfied. Good Luck......Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I bought my 05 Griz in January and except for my wife taking it for a trip around the yard, it hasn't been ridden. If it turns out there is something wrong with it, it will have been 7 months since I bought it, so I guess I would be in the same situation as Dawn.
I hope Yamaha does right by you.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: We took the Grizzly into the shop. They were really crappy to us once again. They doubted us and the mechanic mouthed that if we kept it maintained and treated it right that we wouldn't have our problems. Well, we gave them apporoximately 4 days to look at it. They sent Yamaha a report and it said the problem was EXCESSIVE WEAR. They did a run down and stated every problem it had from bearings going out, boot torn, handlebars bent, calipers, you name it on the front end...it had something wrong with it....BUT....they reported NO LEAKS!!

Well, we called Yamaha and they stood by the shop. We told them we knew the Grizzly had a leak, so we went to the shop and SHOWED them where it was at. Oh, my...how stuff quickly changed! They got very pissy and said that we should have showed them where the leak was at the whole entire time. I'm thinking they are the mechanics...we told them there was a leak...they should have looked for it! It was their job to look...but all they were focused on was the EXCESSIVE WEAR on the front end and not the brakes.

After talking to the owner of the shop, he seemed somewhat concerned. We came home and called Yamaha once again. The shop finally called and said they did see a leak. Yamaha questioned us to why we didn't show the shop where the leak was and how we knew where it was. We told them the above...it was the shop's duty to find it...we told them it was leaking. We told them we traced the brake lines from front to rear...side to side...you name it. It's not that difficult to do...if you LOOK!

Now, the Grizzly is still in the shop. We're not sure what they are going to do. We heard the shop say that they would order the brake line to fix it...and that's it!!! So now, picture this, you buy a new Grizzly...you ride it...you flip it...because of their failure to have a proper brake line to be put on the quad, you now have a torn up quad with lots of problems, would you be happy with JUST a new brake line? I'm thinking NOOOOO!! Who would want just that fixed?

Well, I'm not sure what is going to happen...but I'm still not happy with any of it...to be continued...

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Have you talked to an atorney. It sounds like you at least have a small claims case to pay for the bent and scratched parts.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well here's the news...YAMAHA CORP sucks...that's my opinion. They fixed the brake line...that's it. They said they can't do anything because the cycle shop is independently owned. Yamaha basically told me I am stuck with my bike. Siloam Cycle sucks...everyone beware!

Dawn

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
That sucks Dawn! I really thought Yamaha would come through for you? Are you done trying yet or are you thinking about taking Yamaha to court?.......

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After all that, no...I'm just going to spread as much bad press as I possibly can. I figured bad news spreads quicker than good. They'll come around...or at least hear me a bitchin'. I can't believe they don't stand behind their machines. I mean I guess when an independent dealer sells you a Yamaha...the Corp doesn't have to back it. Buyer beware...

Have I mentioned that Siloam Cycle in Siloam Springs, AR sucks? Well, they do. They are cocky, rude, and just down right unprofessional. They treated us badly and they don't care about their customers and potential customers. Remember, if you buy an ATV from their shop and it's new...check all the fluid levels and so forth...no, as a matter of fact, don't buy one their PERIOD!!

Dawn

Siloam Springs Cycle SUCKS!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts