Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a new 660 S/E.I have heard a lot about the break in period.Im new to atvs but am a avid snowmobiler.How long is the break in period and what has to be done,and what are the long term effects.On all my new sleds I have always just road them hard right out of the box.I realize were talking four stroke vs. two stroke.If this break in peroid is the real deal.I wanna know!!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hey VermontGrizz, i just bought a new 05/SE Grizz myself, i asked this question too when i first bought it,everybody that replied said to follow the manual! 10 hr interval and 20 hr interval, remember it is 4 stroke and it also has 5 valves that must get seated properly before you can hammer it. I am an avid sledder as well but i have never broked one in like you have but each to there own. I am just breaking my Grizz in as we speak, just going out to an old pit and basically putting around with the odd quick burst and puting in and out of 4x4 and diff lock. I want it to last a long time with minimal of problems so i am following the manual and what everybody else is saying. Have fun.......Irv

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Yeap have to agree with Irv on that. I know I am one of the ones that suggested to follow the manual. I have owned two stroke quads also (Banshee) that was bult by Loran Duncan himself of Duncan Racing and he sent me a two page write up on how to break in two and four stroke engines and the bottom line with bothe engines was to take it easy and make sure to let them cool off after a good 1/2 hour ride or so and repeat this a few times to let them not get real hot.

Mike

·
Registered
339 Posts
What Xtremegrizz said about letting it cool off is what I have always heard to do at breakin. The way I look at it a nice trail ride is about perfect, when you hit a road or go playing in a nasty mud hole within the first 20 hours you are just opening yourself up to potentially running it harder than it should be.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
When breaking in a motor, heat cycles are what is important, not time or distance. It's important to heat the motor up using different speeds and RPMs and also using all the functions such as 4-wheel drive, the locker and high and low gear. Then let it completely cool down. Once you do this half a dozen times, you should ride it like you will normally be riding it.
Another thing that I think is very important is to change your oil after the first hour or two of riding, and then again after about 10 hours. Most of the filings and junk that is going to come lose is going to happen right away on a new motor. You want to get it out of there as soon as possible. I also replace the drain plug with a magnetic one right away
I don't remember exactly what the manual said, but I do remember not agreeing with it. It seems that they want you to baby it for a certain amount of time. I don't agree with this. Besides, unless you actually watched them take it out of the crate and you were the first one to ride it, you have no idea how it was run before you bought it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts