Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone else experienced this?

bad news, i was out riding this week, and we where about 20 miles into a about a 45 mile loop. This is where its gets questionable. we crossed ove a snowmachine bridge, and i stopped on the other side the bike stalled in high range. now it didn't want to get out of high range, so finally we got back in park, it started fine, went to shift it, get it out of park and it stalled again. tried it from nuetral, same result, and again it was very had to get it back to park.

so need less to say, we had to put it in nuetral and tow it out, 4 hours later. now getting home late, i didn't get the opportunity to tear into it to see if it is the clutch, or belt, or tranny.

has any else had this happen, and maybe give me a heads up to what might be wrong?

any advice would be good.

thanks

michael

·
Registered
339 Posts
When you say it "stalled in high range" were you moving?
When you say "it didn't want to get out of high range" was the engine running?

Answer these then more questions to follow. Never tried low range, same results?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is the weird part. it was running fine, but it stalled when i came to a stop to wait for the other rider. when i came to a complete stop, that is when it stalled. when i got it into park, started and sounded fine, but once i got it into any drive gear, it stalled, no matter what i did.

shifting was difficult due to the fact it wouldn't run, it was a struggle to get it to N.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It should shift same weather it is running or not. Can you shift it when it is not running?

Did it seem like it was ideling to high?

How long have you owned it, have you been into the clutch? Have you ever had water in the clutch? I can't think of anything that would make it stall at idle in gear but not neutral, unless something is wrong with the clutch and it is not disengaging. If that is the case it would have to be inside the wet clutch unless it is ideling very high then it could be the primary sheave. If it is the wet clutch maybe it is a spring broken, but can't say I have ever heard of that.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
One other thought could be something in the jets. Did you give it the gas to die or just put it in gear and it died?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
general information:
it has just over 700 (easy) miles. taking my time to break it in. (learned my leason from my last quad). i bought it in June of 2004.

no, i've never had the clutch enclosure apart. but the way it looks, that is going to happen tonight or this weekend. still trying to find out if i can get the dealer to warrentee it, somehow.

when it is not running, we had to rock the bike to make it shift. and i don't think that water got in the clutch. my bike has been everywhere my dad's has been, and he has well over 1000 miles, and he hasn't had any problems.

it starts fine, but once we tried to put it in gear, it would stall no questions asked.

again, thanks for responding

michael

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well I don't know what to say, but my guess is something wrong in the clutch. If you pull the cover off the primary clutch should not be moving at idle and it soulnd to me like it is not disengaging.

If you were to drive at normal speed all the time would you notice anything?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don't know either, my dad actually got a start on the disassembling as i write, so hopefully in a bit i will have an idea what it might be.

see, he's retired and i'm stuck working....**** job. lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
if you get it rolling and put it into gear does it go?
if it does than the clutch is stuck. it would be like coming to a stop
with a standard trans and not pushing the clutch in. or jack it up
in 2wd and try it if you get it going than apply the brakes and if it stalls the clutch is stuck. thats what it sound like to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i ordered a epi clutch for high lifter, and it came in yesterday, so i will be installing that friday night. i hope this fixed the problem. i haven't been into the clutch assembly yet, waiting for the gasket to come in.

i will take pics as i go.

later

michael

·
Registered
339 Posts
Michael,

That would be great if you could get some pics. I have a write up I did for servicing the primary clutch and changing the secondary clutch spring, with photos. Since I did not go into the wet clutch I would like to have photos and some info on that area of the clutch. It will be interesting to see if there is a problem in your wet clutch like we expect.

I am doing "Tech Tips" for the Grizzly over on NYROC's site and would post the information over there if you would allow it.

NYROC

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya no problem, i just hope this is it.

if you need the pics, let me know, and i will get them to you...

i'm planning on posting them here anyway.

michael

·
Registered
81 Posts
ya sounds to me that the clutch is not disengaging. with the "standard trans if you put it in gear and stop without pulling in the clutch". that is ONLY if have a manual clutch. my suzuki is a standard trans but it has an auto clutch so i stop all i want and it wont stall. be that does seem weird. i know with my papa's 94 trailboss 250 2wd stroke with the CVT automatic trans sometimes it doesnt like to go into gear, so you gotta give it a little blip on the throttle and it would shift.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts