Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldnt beleive it, i broke my winch cable on my warn 2.5 plowing snow!
I have a 60in. county plow and havent used it that much. I had just finished
plowing my driveway and started on my neighbors when SNAP!! It broke about 2 inches above the hook. Well i called warn and they said that sometimes happens
because of the angle of the cable. I said that sucks. He told me they make a synthetic cable to replace wire one for plowing. Supposedly that one wont wear as fast. Anyone else have this problem. If so what did you do to resolve it. Any info you have i appreciate.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have read where people pull there winch cable off in the winter when they hook the plow up and replace it with a short piece of cable just for this use because of what you are saying. They don't want to mess up a 50' cable when all the wear of plowing is on the first couple of feet.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have broken mine also plowing, all I did for a fix was get a cable clamp from the local hardware store and it worked out great. Took the end of the broken cable and made a loop back, installed the clamp and presto instant fix. I didn't want to go thru the trouble of getting a new cable and doing a changeover so the clamp works out wonderfull. I believe the clamp was only $2.50 at True Value Hardware. If you are in a bind give the clamp a shot. That 60" Moose County plow is quite heavier then my Moose standard plow so you may have to go with a set-up as DKNARD discribed, but the clamp is a good fix.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I have herd the same thing as DKNARD. People sometimes make up a short piece of cable to just use in the winter for the plow.

Grizzlit:

I have the synthetic rope on mine but I got mine from mail order. Really have not got a chance to try it out yet but just from the feel of it not having to worry about any frayed lines was a big plus to me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The short cable is pretty much the best solution however, a 5" cable might not serve you well if you're stuck in 2ft of snow and your cable can't reach the nearest tree 10 ft away :)

On the other hand, the Grizzly rarely needs the winch anyways

·
Registered
34 Posts
i did some looken and found that the rope is only $10.00 cheaper that the 50ft
cable. it would be cheaper in the long run just to have another cable on hand.
i don't know how offten they brake but, if it was every other winter, i would
want to replace the cable anyway, depending on how much you use it in the
summer. am i correct? or crazy?

or once the first one brakes, hook it up like blue did and swap that with the
new one in the summer. just a thought.

todd

·
Registered
701 Posts
I plan on switching over to a synthetic line as well. My winch cable has only been used for plowing and is already starting to fray in spots. The syn line is better and safer all around IMHO.

Koko

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
My Father said i should oil the cable? He worked on heavy equipment all his life(Pipeliner) and he said thats what they did all the time. He says it protects it and makes it last longer? Any thoughts on this? Good or bad? I am curious myself........Irv

·
Registered
701 Posts
Although I've never heard of it being done, I can't see how it would hurt. Seems like it only help on the friction side of things.

Koko

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah im gettin the synthetic one. Oiling the cable will help friction but the reason this broke is because it bends the cable therfore fraying it and SNAP!!
Thanks for the replys guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts