Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Grizzly has started burning oil... a lot of it. At the last oil change, I noticed that I only got a little more than a quart out of it when I drained it.

Then this time, at 17 hours (barely more than halfway into the oil change), I checked it again and found it low. It took a full quart to bring it back up to where it belonged.

I haven't found any leaks, and even with skidplates, a leak that big would likely show up on my trailer floor. So it must be burning it. Could this be an indication of worn rings?

It has about 3600-3700 miles on it and has had Castrol Act-Evo 10W40 synthetic run in it since its first oil change.

Rob

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rob, I do not know much about four stroke atvs. I've only had them ('03 rincon and '04 grizzly) the last year or so. The only thing I have to compare to is the two strokes I've always been around (banshees mostly). And as I'm sure you know from your sledding, you can't expect that kind of life (3600-3700 miles) from a two stroke. So please keep me informed, as I've always been curious to know the life expectancy of one of these 660s if metculously maintained. Maybe it's time for a big bore kit! Later, Clint.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard you can expect 5-10k easily out of a 4-stroke utility ATV before it needs rings, if you take care of it and change the oil frequently, which I do.

If it IS rings, then my suspicion is my K&N filter is allowing too much crap into the motor... the stupid seal around the filter has never worked well. I may end up using the stock foam filter from now on.

I'm going to try to nurse it through until the Winter, since it'll be down for a while to get the work done. I don't want to rush anything. Plus, I'm hoping to have the funds to do more than just rings. I wanna do a 2mm overbore (686), and drop in a Webcams cam. I don't think I'll have the funds to do a Craycraft port on the head ($300), so will have to just stick with those other two mods. Oh, add in a high-comp piston too. Stock is 9.2:1, thinking of going to 10:1 or 10.5:1.

I know on 2-stroke sleds, 3500 or so miles is about the best you can expect. I do know of some older 2-strokes that have gone well over 10-15k on original rings, and that's pretty amazing (Ski-Doo motors from the mid 90's). Their newer motors are having trouble lasting more than 1500. My own sled ('04 model) will be getting new rings before next Winter, and it has 1300 miles on it.

Rob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey ROBG !

Have not had a chance to respond to you in awhile.Just wondering if you have submerged your wheelier in the recent past that it might have gotten water in the oil system or breather box,that could have gotten to the carb.

Sounds like a cracked ring if this has happened or if the air filter kit you installed has let to much sand into the breather system to just wear out the rings altogther.

Get a compression check done on it to determine if you have blow by because of the rings or just maybe some oil leakage from the valve guides.The valve guide seals can be replaced a lot cheaper if this is the problem, than a new piston and rebore kit.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have an 04 griz with about 750 miles on it, its using oil, I check it everytime before I ride and find that I have to add a small amount to bring it back up to the full mark. This is after a 80 mile ride or so, not working it hard either, hopefully it just needs some time to break in and seat everything.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Just checked my oil in both Grizzlys After aprox. 55miles and 15hrs of all slow rock crawling in Mo. Happy to report no oil usage. Running 10w40 Maxima oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I checked my oil yesterday and I havent burned any oil, but my oil smells like gas. Any idea on what that could be?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts