Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to All.

As you can tell this is my 1st post.

I'm looking to buy a Grizzly 660. I would like to get an used one, but from my reseach, the price people are wanting for used is not that much different than buying new.

I have checked around the Memphis, TN area and the price for a new 2005/2006 varies about $500.

With some of you that have bought from dealers, what kind of addition fees did you pay (not counting taxes)?

dealer prep? setup? ect?

Were these fees negotiable at the time of your purchase or was it "take it/leave it".

I look forward to your replys and as always, thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I am out in the middle of nowhere, so when I bought mine I got on the phone,, called all the dealers in about 100 mile range and got the "out the door price",,,and the color I wanted,,,,,I was lucky the dealer that was cheapest also had the color I wanted,,,,,,, some dealers wouldnt deal over the phone,, just told them I wasnt in the mood to drive 100 miles to deal with them for a hour and still not get the price I wanted,,,,, ,,,,, be sure and ask about any rebates or special deals on winches when you get it,, sometimes yamaha throws in a winch for sixty bucks on a new one,,, ,,, ,,,,, ,,,, good luck and welcome to the forum,,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,, cg

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey CJ,

Thanks for the reply.

I know when your trying to buy a car, the salesman won't really get into the nitty gritty stuff over the phone. If they do, it all changes once you show up. I was not sure how they are on atvs.

When you were talking to the dealers over the phone that did want to talk, could you haggle with them on any $$$$$ or was it "this is the price and this is what we charge" kind of deal?

Last week when I talked to the dealers to check prices in the area, I never got into dickering with them. I wasn't sure if this was the thing to do. Knowing my luck, I would wind up POing them off, go into buy, and with them saying "oh, you're that guy".

I'll start calling back on Monday for an "out the door price".

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I actually used the internet, most places have a web site and all I told them I was going to purchase one real soon so who could ever give me the best price/deal would get my business. The prices varied as much as 500 bucks OTD! Luckily for me a new Yamaha dealer opened around the corner and I got a great deal on a S.E. that was a bit scratch up from a motor-cycle show. Ask questions about winches, parts and accessories etc. I get a 20% discount on all parts and service because I bought one there. The dealers reputation is important as well, I would rather drive a bit to get a knowledgable dealer/mechanic than stay close for a not so good dealer/mechanic. Ask around, talk to people who have bought from different dealers to find out. Good luck and don't be in a hurry........Irv

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Irv,

I have looked a lot on the net. Even seen and reported some of the scams on Ebay.

Did you get the 20% discount by asking or was this offered to you from the beginning?

You lucky dog on getting the SE. And if you got a good deal on the SE, your even a luckier dog.

I have been looking at the SE's, but not sure if I want to spend the extra $$$.

Decisions - decisions!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Tnwrangler, I used the internet to e-mail various dealerships that I was after a new grizz and I was going to purchase one real soon. I asked for their best price OTD and what other incentives were offered that would sway my decision for buying a quad off of them. The 20% was in place at there shop, they told me about it........Irv

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
TnWrangler, I also used the net and found a place on ebay that was selling a machine for a cheep starting bid. I ended up finding out that they were about 150 miles from me and emailed them, they came back and said if I came up there i could get it out the door for that price. went uo there and bought it with no set up fees or doc. I have purchased a total of 6 differnent machines now from two different dealers and never have paid set up and doc fees.

The palce I purchased my Grizz from is in WI and they are one of the biggest dealers in the US I think they said due to the volume of machines they sell and also ship all over the US due to their priceing. Check out their site once.
Company name is RockRiver Powersports. www.rockriverpowersports.com Think thats it if your interested atleast you can see pricing if anything.

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you can afford the extra few hundred dollars ALWAYS buy new I myself tried saving a few exrta dollars and ended up spending more on a used machine you never know when you might get the abused red headed step child , not saying every machine is that way but you really have to know what to look for when buying used stuff. I bought my 04 grizzly new from a close friend/salesmen and my out the door price was 5,000 dollars so dont belive the bulls**t when they say "we cant go any lower and make money of this deal" not saying you will find the deal I got, but you can probably get out the door for around 6,900 give or take and still every one will be happy. at least thats what my friend the salesmen says

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To all that has replied, Thanks.

Well, I am a proud owner of a new 2005 Grizzly SE. I picked it up at a local dealer for $6800 and some change, out the door. This was the last 2005 Grizzly they had left. I also got the Warn winch for $69.

I took the new griz out for a little while yesterday getting comfortable with my new toy. Got out today with my nephew who has a Honda 400EX. He got too close behind me going through some mud. On the other side of the muddy area, he looked like the underneath of my griz. Oops, sorry. I didn't know the new griz would want to empty the whole mud area just to have some fun. ha ha. I may have used more throttle than I really needed to get to the other side.

I did get the tippy feeling on some tight turns, but it seems the more I got the feel of it, it's something you get used to. The power, WOW. This thing has some "get up and go" and the IRS is sweet!!!!!

I will post some pitures on here as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Oh, one more thing, has anyone installed a winch on their griz themselves? If yes, was it easy ot too difficult and would let the dealer do it for $180?

P.S. I will have to update my signature.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Hey Wrangler,
Welcome to the world of Grizzly. The people that say the Grizzly is tippy are those who sit on it like a couch. Stand up and lean into corners and you will see that it will corner with the best of em.
As far as installing the winch goes, it's pretty easy if you have some idea of what you're doing. The hardest part is routing the wires and it's not hard, just time consuming.
Find somebody near you that has installed a winch and offer them $50 to install it. Most guys would probably help you do it for nothing.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Wrangler,

Welcome mate, I am sure you will be impressed as these are great machines. As for the winch fitting, just follow the directions and take your time. It will probably take a few hours but spend more time "thinking" and less time "doing"

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Congrats TnWrangler, your gonna love it! Just go easy on the throttle until it is broken in. I know what you mean when you say it is tippy on the corners, nothing some new 6 ply or radial tires won't cure. You may also want to play with your shock settings? I have moved mine up to the 3rd setting and it helped quite a bit without adding to a harsher ride. I am thinking about moving them to the 4th just to see? Anyways, read your manual through and if you have any questions, ask away........Irv

·
Registered
95 Posts
Congrats on the new toy. Just a little input on the winch install. Mount the relay in the trunk under the seat. This will protect it from the harsh inviornment your going to be putting the rest of the undercariage through. Also I recomend one possition stiffer on the shocks as well, seemed to stabilize the beast quite a bit.

Enjoy,
Scott

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, thanks for all of your replies.

Irv - how do you like the Quadrax elite storage seat? Pros and cons. I found it on the net for $300 plus. It looks like the little one rides in this from your pics. Is this okay just for light trail riding?

Before anyone starts giving me heck about riders, believe me, my wife's idea of "light trail riding" with my daughter is around the yard running over dog turds.

05BlkGrizz - you say to mount the relay in the trunk under the seat. From your post, it sounds like this is how you installed yours. Will I have to drill holes in the trunk for the wires to run through?

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey Tn, I mounted my winch myself - it's easy. As 05BlkGrizz says - mounting the relay box under teh seat is the way to go. Mine stays really dry there. I drilled through the plastic between the battery and the storage area under the seat and ran my cables that way. I also tie wrapped my cables along with the other one's under the plastic on the left side.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Bad, can you take a picture of what you did under the seat and zap it off to me.

I sure would like to have the "warm and fuzzies" before I start putting in extra holes that are not needed.

My brother has the tech knowledge to put the wich in, but his "fix its" is with a roll of duct tape and a closet hanger.

I want to get him all the info I can before he starts.

·
Registered
140 Posts
No problem, I hated drilling mine too - it was a brand new machine. But now I have no issues with the seat latching and it looks very clean. On the Left side of the gas tank if you pull the black shroud off you'll see a bunch of wires and cables tie wrapped to the frame - I ran mine along with that. The holes under the seat don't let any water or dirt in either - I'll take the pics today.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here are the pics of the winch wiring

1 - 20 of 26 Posts