Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trading my 2004 kodiak in on a 2003 grizzly with 600 miles on it. I have a couple of questions 1st are there any problems with the 2003 models. and how are they when it comes to going down steep hill which has ruts and turns in it. are they stable. Thanks

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The 03's had weaker axles so I have read, I am not sure if there was ever an update? Some guys say the Grizz is tippy but I don't find mine to be? It is probably as stable if not a bit more than your Kodiak? A lot of guys usually put on after market tires and rims which gives it a wider stance and takes away the tippines. With only 600 miles, you are practically getting a new quad, unless they were a very hard 600 miles? Welcome to the site, enjoy...Irv

·
Registered
47 Posts
CoachO, Can't tell ya much. Just bought my 06' grizzly monday. Only got .6 miles on it. Going on a ride in the morning, let ya know what i think later. Welcome to a truley cool site....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks keep me posted. I know the owner and it is not hard miles. used it around his house. I heard about gas boiling in the carb. It looks new and what I can tell it is in great shape. How are they going up hills. does the front end want to come up from all the power when you go up steep hills.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought an 03 for work and around 4500 kms I broke both rear cv's. That was about 3000 km's of straight mud. I also heard of a free heat kit upgrade,so I phoned the dealership and they upgraded it as a recall. They installed the vented side pannels and a couple of heat shrouds. Then I bought an 04 for myself and they have a few changes. Upgraded cv's, vented pannels, stiffer shocks, and a diff lock override. I think they are a very good quad. I also bought a 05 grizz for work since the others worked so well.
coach0, Do you know if he got the free heat kit upgrade? If it does it should have vented side pannels, not solid ones.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I like his job

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cockerd
how are they when it comes to steep down hill rides. and do does the front want to come off the ground going up hills

·
Registered
54 Posts
coach0; If it has the vented side pannels it most likely has the upgrade. Down hills the Grizzly has about the best engine braking out there. Going up hills is no different than any other quad. Thats why I like the front tool box. It puts weight on the front and also makes it easier to get on and off compared to a rear tool box. The Grizzly also has a nice clutch engagement when going up hills. You don't need much rpm's to get going. The Polaris on the other hand is more rammy on steep inclines due to their Ski-doo style clutch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the axle problen. is it only with the 2003? are they hard to change out. and does it feel top heavy or unstable in ruts. some trails that I ride on with my kodiak give me that feeling.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The factory dunlops make it feel worse than it is. If you put some decent tires on it, it feels very stable. The axles were the 03's and they are easy to change but a little pricey. The last one on the 03 that broke I just changed the outer cv and shaft and it was only $200 compared to about $400.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2003 grizz was great. As far as tippiness goes its all in the riders confidence.
A trick ivé learned is when its leaning right over in a deep rut. Instead of shifting your weight to the upside and bellying it out put all your weight on the downside runner even to the point of leaning off the thing and give it to it. works evey time.

Number one rule though only on low speed deep muddy ruts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think the kodiak feels more stable high speed cornering than the Grizz but I didn't buy a utility machine to race. It will however go over a lot of absticles that the Kodiak will have trouble with. The extra ground clearance make a big difference.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Just take your time learning to ride it and get to know how it acts in corners before you go trying to powerslide around them. You can't sit on it like a Lazyboy and try and fly around corners, it takes a little body english. I ride mine on the motocross track and have a blast.
The 03 axles will be ok if you stick with stock size tires. They did make them a little thinner for some reason that year. If you're going to get aggressive mud tires or bigger tires you may want to up-grade to 04 or newer axles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts