Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to increase my cooling, when i stop the quad on a hot day of riding, for about 10 minutes, when i take of the quad starts to sputter. After about a minute the sputter is gone. I think it stops because there is air movement on the motor. I thought i could hook the fan up so i could run of a switch. Has any body done this, or other improvements. I need to know what wires to jumper. Thank You for your replys.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Not sure what wires but I know there is a few that run the stock fan to a switch that way you can control it.

Another route would be the High Lifter radiator replacement, kind of $ though. Just a thought.

BTW welcome to the site!

Mike

·
Registered
289 Posts
The sputter is the gas in the carb boiling from the heat that gets to it when you stop, kinda like vapor lock, running the fan while stopped will not really help in this situation, only air flow when you are moving takes care of this. I have had the same thing happen to mine an 04. The engine light for heat never comes on so its not overheating, it just a carb thing that happens when its sitting for a break in riding. The only way I know of to cure the problem is to run it without the side covers on, that will let more cooling air circulate around the carb area and get rid of the heat.I have only had it happen a couple of times in 3300 miles of riding so I just ignore it. Just so I didn't misread your post, your engine isn't overheating right, it just the sputter that happens right after a short break on the trail and just for a few moments after you start moving. Only happens on very hot days while slow trail riding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/grizzhoppr/my_photos
this should help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dannyk Yes you are right the quad it self is not over heating. Its just the hot air around the carb that is the problem. You almost need a second fan to circulate the air while being stoped.

·
Registered
289 Posts
kind of a bummer to ride without the side pannels, but that would probably be the only cure for the problem, I really don't think adding a fan somewhere under there is an option, not much room, but you never know. So far of all the differn't atv's I ride with the yamaha is the only one with this issue, but most of them do not have things closed up like the griz does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What if when you stop, you just move the kill switch over to stop the motor and keep the key on? That keeps the fan running even after you've shut the Grizz off. Just an idea.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thats what I do. The fan runs for about 45 seconds and then it is cool enough that it shuts off. I never really had the boiling problem anyway, but I always stop the motor and let the fan do its thing until it shuts off. Maybe other problems like valve adjustment and/or dirty carb is making it more likely to have the boiling problem?

Jim

·
Registered
224 Posts
I also use the kill switch and let the fan continue to run. I have never had any overheating issues and I ride in 4-low down really rocky stuff for around 2 hours one way. There is also LOTS of deep nasty rutted up mudholes down this trail so everything has a nice coat of mud while going really slow. The engine gets pretty hot as my legs feel like they are going to burn off, but never a light and zero issues with the bike acting up.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I also use the kill switch and let the fan continue to run. I have never had any overheating issues and I ride in 4-low down really rocky stuff for around 2 hours one way. There is also LOTS of deep nasty rutted up mudholes down this trail so everything has a nice coat of mud while going really slow. The engine gets pretty hot as my legs feel like they are going to burn off, but never a light and zero issues with the bike acting up.

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Some buds and I went for a ride last wendsday. When we would stop I always left the key on and used the kill switch for the engine. I noticed on one stop that the fan would run for about 30 to 50 seconds and turn off, then a few min later would cycle again, comming on and running a short while. I'm riding in Alabama, in 90 deg plus temps. (knock on wood) I've never had an issue with this " vapor lock". Use the kill switch, seems to handle the temp.

Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts