Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding my grizzly 660, I parked it in the garage and noticed fuel running out of, what looks to be, an overflow line of some sort. Im assuming this is a carb problem, however, when I tried to start it (yes i put fuel in it) the gas gauge was flashing and the grizzly acted like something was locking up (it wouldnt turn over at all). After trying a few times, it started acting like it wanted to turn over but was out of gas and wouldnt. Then it would lock up again. Has anyone had this problem before or familiar with working on atvs that can help me? Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sounds like a stuck float to me? Be sure and check your oil, sounds like your crank case is full? This would be the reason for the hard start. Do not try and restart until you verified there is no gas in your oil. You could get a hydro lock and then your into some real costly repairs!
You can try and tap your carb bowl area with a wooden handle or some sort and see what happens or tear the carb apart and have a look inside.
What year is your grizz, how many miles do you have? What kind of riding do you do? Have you ever serviced it before? Have you adjusted your valves yet? Provide some more info and I am sure we can get you started in the right area.........

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 2002 i believe. I only use it for riding around my land and hunting purposes. in other words, im not hard on it at all. im not sure on the mileage, because its at my weekend house, but i know its low for the year model. the only maintenance ive done is regular oil changes and spark plug changes,and ive never adjusted the valves.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Welcome to the site, Dave. Too bad it's due to a problem, but shouldn't be a big one, anyhow. First, though you might be surprised what types of riding are actually tough on engines. IMO, short, cold engine runs around yard and then setting again really never gets gaskets, etc up to temp and actually can be "harder" on an engine than trail riding. That being said, I think your problem is a stuck float, like previously mentioned. Problem is that it sounds like it continued overflowing and entered the cylinder due to unlucky piston position and/or intake valves out of tolerance. The grizz (especially the early ones it seems- like my '02) really struggled keeping valves within specs. So, what I'd do is this. Turn fuel line off and keep key off. Pull plug... pull engine over by hand several times and watch for fluid being forced out of plug hole. Drain carb bowl. Turn fuel line back on and watch for drainage from carb bowl. If present, tap on bowl with nylon handle of screwdriver until drainage stops coming from that tube you mentioned in original post. Make sure it pulls over easily still and replace plug and try to start. I'd have intake valves checked as they are pro'ly out. Don't use the electric start until resolved as if there is a fluid lock, you could cause significant damage to engine. I've never had this happen to my griz, but have had it on other bikes. It worked for me, anyways. Best of luck and again, welcome. BTW, if (with plug out) it still won't pull over by hand, it could very well be a case hydro lock like Barbz said, and they are right, that's real costly, so proceed with caution...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an '02 Grizz, 660 that had float bowl issues. Fixed that, THEN it started backfiring, spitting, sputtering, won't idle, won't rev etc. Adjusted the valves twice to make sure they were right the first time, replaced the carb, checked the timing, replaced the stator and pickup, replaced the computer module, checked the rev limiter and timing chain tensioner, grounded the reverse rev limiter, checked the exhaust for blockage and STILL does the same thing. And this was a Problem Free machine that was well maintained. It's almost ready for the sledge hammer treatment..............sad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts