Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Brand New 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 and have been breaking it in and have 6 hours and 30 miles on it. The guys on this site told me to change the oil the 1st or 2nd day of riding. What kind of oil should I use, yamahalube? What should I do with oil filter, clean it or leave it alone? What other maintenance should I do right now?

·
Registered
270 Posts
just like a car, replace the oil filter. They are pretty cheap. Word of advise on the oil filter is buy the special wrench that goes into a socket wrench. I tried to use a wregular strap wrench and it wouldnt budge, not enough room in there. Yamaha actually didnt have any when I went to buy it so I ended up putting a screwdriver through the filter and turing it that way but what a mess it made. I already had drained the oil and wasnt about to put new oil in there for my ride the next day, so I had to do it, but buy the wrench!!!!

As for the oil, Yamalube or any other ATV oil. The important thing it that it is not labeled ENERGY CONSERVING, like some motor oils are. Those oils have friction modifiers that cause the clutch to slip and can cause big problems, so it is safer to stay away from regular motor oils for cars. The ATV oils are comparable in price if you shop around.

I am sure this is going to turn into the usual synthetic vs regular debate, but you should be fine with Yamalube. I actually bought the Kawasaki version of Yamalube because it came in a larger bottle and was more economical. The Yamaha dealer actually sold it to me! Some people say the synthetics are bad for ATV's others swear by them. I am sure they are probably fine, but I can't see the advantage of paying so much for an oil change. I've been using the ATV oil and so have my friends for years and its all good.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I agree with Jersey, you don't need synthetic oil. It's more expensive and gains are very minimal if any. I've tried synthetic oil and I just don't see any differance other than the price. I suppose you wouldn't see a differance unless you did some kind of test of the used oil, but I change my oil often enough that it doesn't get a chance to break down.

I bought one of those Walmart wrenches and the filter was so tight from the factory that it cracked the plastic trying to get the filter off. Now I use one of those jar lid openers with the adjustable rubber thing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have the wrench now, I just was hoping to warn him in case he didn't have it yet. I only did the screwdriver thing because I was riding the next morning, had a filter I couldn't get off and the bike was already drained of oil.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You've got to love the location of the oil filter. Without a wrench you are screwed unless you do the Jersey screwdriver technique.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Im old and my memory aint too good any more,,, but it seems like I remember something from my teenage years called a jersey screwdriver,,, something to do with a backseat of a car and a drivein movie......

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
We had something similar called the California Corkscrew. It was the same thing only in a Pinto.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts