Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to change the 3 gear boxes oil today and hit a snag. The drain plugs appear to have a torx (star shaped) bolt head in them. I have a few I tried and they were all too small. I hope I was looking at the right drain bolt.

Does anybody know the bit size for these drain plugs? I can go to auto parts house and buy it if I know the size!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
My 05 has Allan key inserts in them. Not sure of the size though.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
That's a Yamaha plot to keep us from doing our own maintenance. Sorry I can't help you with the size but when you find out let the rest of us know.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Mine are allen keys as well grizzflogger, are you sure you have the right bolts? It can get a little confusing under there laying on your back. What year is your Grizz? Mine is an 05......Irv

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is 06 but it makes no sense for them to change the bolt. I will go back under and recheck the thing again and get back to you guys. I hope you are right and it is allen head and not the torx head it looks like, I can find them at any Checker auto.

thanks

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
You say 3 gear box's oils? Do you mean your 2 diffs and engine oil? Be careful when you are putting them back in, they do not need to be over tightened at all, I have read quite a few posts where guys have stripped the bolts and there cases by over tightening......Irv

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After seeing that about the bolts stripping a few times now I will be careful on munching the bolts back in. Irv, from what you are saying, the main gear box that transfers power to the two diffs is fed by motor oil and not gear oil. I will be careful and check the manual close when I do the deed, thanks!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Correct, if I am reading your post right? The clutch is a wet clutch and it is lubricated by your engine oil. So you have 2 diffs with gear oil and only one engine/clutch that takes motor oil. Make sure you use hypoid gear oil for the diffs and non-energy conserving motor oil.......Irv

·
Registered
339 Posts
I use an anti-sieze on all drain plugs as well as all bolts that hold side covers on, even the pull starter bolts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't forget the allen keys are a metric size. I had to buy some new tools 'cuz a their goofy hardware. My only complaint about the grizzly- Too hard to work on!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Mine is a 04 and size is 6mm in rear and 5mm in front and they are a allen (hex) head.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, 5 and 6mm is the ticket for allen head bolt size!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
No problem glad to help.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts