Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

Changing springs...

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rbdenman 
#1 ·
Well I stuffed the front Highlifters in place yesterday and learned a thing or two about Yamahas... A normal set of coil spring compressors have a heckuva time getting a bit on the spring coils... Two reasons: First; they're a lot smaller diameter spring than the typical automotive application for which the compressors are mostly designed for. Second; there's that dang plastic piece in there that protects and covers up the open shock rod... Not much room to get behindthe springs grab anything without putting a hurting on them... Fortunately I've got a nephew with no fear and a fairmount of mechanical know-how. With me and his Dad waiting for bloodflow, he was able to get JUST enough biteon the coils to make some magic happen.They ride nice and there's less wallowing in off camber siturations.

I'd sugggest getting some compressors that hook right around the spring coil and capture it in order to keep everybody's blood pressure in the safe zone during this kind of tinkering...

#2 ·
I wish Icould change spings on my 600 Bob.

Nice pics. . . . . . . . .

#3 ·
Awwww D... No pics! This swapover happened only because they were in the wrong place at the right time!
I had gone up to my folks' property to log some miles and they were there with toolboxes, so a wrenching happened... No pics means no evidence anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.