Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I have the black clutch housing on I imagine it rubs like this does, is this normal?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Wow never had mine apart to see if mine was like that but that can't be good the way it looks. Hopefully someone will chime in with a answer, I want to find out also.

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
i dont know squat about these belt things...yet.but i would imagine that the belt goes inside the middle and that the clutch expands /contracts around the belt.can you seperate the 2 halves to set it in the center? whats funny also is that there are ribs on the outer half of the belt like it drives something.surely someone on here has some experience with these.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was thinking of trying to set the belt lower by lightly tapping it with a hammer or something.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The belt goes down inside the sheaves as the speed picks up. Have you done any clutch work to the machine? The top of the belt should set about even with the top of the sheaves. It may be an illusion but the nut that holds your secondary sheave onto the spindle appears to have more shaft exposed (sticking out farther) than my machine does.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The work I did to the clutch was clean it and re-grease it. Now it looks alittle funny but I'm going to work on it now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Did you run after the clean job before you took those pictures?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I ran it. But I then realized that the two bolts on the secondary sheave are just missing. I need to order them and that should solve my tension problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've looked in the maintanance manual and can't find the part number to the two bolts missing in my second picture. Yamaha couldn't help either. Does anyone know what they are??

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Ben,

Not too sure mate they look to me like they are for using a gear puller?

I may be wrong as I have not looked at the manual, just my thoughts.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
339 Posts
Those holes are there to open the secondary pully sheave so that the belt will slide down and loosen for removal. There should not be any bolts inside those holes, what you do when maintaining the clutch is take two bolts from the clutch cover and thread them into the holes to spread the pulley and loosen the belt. Before use the bolts have to be removed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you so much for that info, I was lost there for a few days. So do you think if I put those bolts in it will bring my belt down into its original position? Thanks, Ben.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hey Ben W, i see your Grizz is an 05, have you thought about taking it back to the dealer? If you bought it off of them they may be willing to help you out if you don't have warranty left? If they are a good dealer they should! You might be wise to get a Service manual as well? Like some one else mentioned in this post, it looks like your shaft on your secondary sticks out further than it should? Don't screw something up, new clutch parts from Yamaha are not cheap....Irv

·
Registered
339 Posts
They are correct in saying that the shaft seems to stick out further than it should. I just checked a photo of mine when I did my clutch and it does appear that the shaft only stick out past the nut a little, maybe 1/4" at the most.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You didnt put the primary pulley and weights back together right............your belt is riding too low in the front pully and that is causing it to ride too high in the rear pulley......the 2 little bolts in the rear pulley are just to spread the rear pulley so you can remove the belt.
You may have damaged your weights when you put the front pulley back together......pull it back apart and check it out.
How did you hold and tighten your front pulley when you put it back together....and did you do it with the belt on or off?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts