Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey a newbie here. I have an 06 grizz and looking to put on some 26" mudzillas but the dealer was saying anything over 27" need a clutch kit. but after looking at the mudzilla in the shop man is that tire big and heavy will i be fine on putting those on without a clutch kit? and do i run the possibility of breaking anything i do not ride rought but i do go through some good mud and trail ride.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I rode with 26" tires and did not have a clutch kit. Although I should have. It robbed a lot of low end power. There's basically two style clutch kits. One is the Dalton Clutch kit. That one is good for 26" tires. Anything over that you better off with the EPI or Highlifter outlaw clutch kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is this hard to do or should i spend the $75 an hr. to have it done? one shop said all i would need is a 27mm and i could bring the secondary in to get my spring compressed and that was it.just wondering how hard it would be to get tha main nut off by hand.

·
Registered
701 Posts
From what I've heard it isn't hard to do. I think you will also need a strap wrench to hold the pully in place while you loosen the 27mm nut. I could be wrong as I haven't done it myself. Dknrnd on the forum here has a dalton kit. He should be able to shed some light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool maybe he will see my ? and post. I finally got a hold of someone that was a little more help he said he could do it for way cheaper than the dealer. But i got a better understanding on why you inst clutch kit in the first place i think i am gonna just swap the tires over and take it for a spin and see what happens. and if i lose a lot of power i will go and get it done or do it myself if it is that easy. cause i have the tools except if something can not be broke by hand and needs an impact then i am screwed

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Definately take it for a ride and see what you think. You may not be bothered at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put a dalton clutch kit in my 02 grizz the front was easy to do but the back where ya put the new spring in i had to get an impact to get the nut off, besides tht it was an easy job, i did the front then used the winch to pull the bike up on my truck and took it to a garage to have the nut spun off, buddy didn't charge me cause it only took like 20sec...hope this helps....Wader

·
Registered
256 Posts
How much for these clutch kits?

·
Registered
256 Posts
How much for these clutch kits?

·
Registered
27 Posts
around 110$ US plus shipping of course...i actuall live in the town tht dalton resides in :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've seen the dalton clutch kit for $89 plus shipping in the us. do a search on this forum. there was talk about year ago. I think it's ritter cycles that distributes them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
thts good deal the price i got was rite from dalton's website
http://www.daltonindustries.com/atv/clutchkits.htm

·
Registered
339 Posts
One of the difficult parts of this is holding the clutch from spinning while taking the nut off, you need a large strap wrench or what I used was an old serpentine belt and couple pair of vise grips. Also I strongly suggest you use the appropriate tool to remove and replace the spring on the secondary clutch and if you do not have it take it to a cycle shop that can do it for you. Doing it without the tool could be seriously dangerous as it is under allot of pressure.

If you still need some detail instructions I can send you some.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi everyone Im new to the site, and have recently purchased a Grizzly. I have already gone with 27 inch mud lites, and am now wanting to get a heavier duty clutch to compensate for the bigger tires. If anyone can give me some suggestions on the proper clutch for my Grizz I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I heard EPI makes a decent clutch kit as well. I have no experiences with clutch kits though. This is just what I have read from different forums...Irv

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
i run the epi clutch kit and have no problems, big difference to my low end power, i can pull a wheelie from a stand still with my 28's on.

·
Registered
339 Posts
IMO High Lifter is way over priced on everything they sell. EPI actually assembles the HL kit for them and it is a very good kit but you should be able to buy an EPI kit without going through HL and get the same results for less money.

Dalton is also a very good clutch company and make a goood product. Dalton's product differs from EPI because they do not change the wet clutch springs. The wet clutch springs delay the engagement of the belt until you hit a slightly higher rpm. If you are a deep mud rider then the EPI kit would be a good choice, if you are a trail rider then the Dalton kit will work very well and save you some money, and installation time or cost if you do not do the install yourself.

I am running 26" tires and the Dalton kit and could not be happier with the performance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I installed a dalton clutch kit myself on my 660 it only took about an hour I did not need a strap wrench or anything else I used an impact wrench and everything came right off. I have 28" super swamper edls which side by side are taller than "29and a half inch outlaw" and I have more than enough power back I can now do wheelies again. Any questions just ask "i also had an epi installed on another grizz to compare performance.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Personally I would not use an impact wrench on the clutch components. You run risk of damaging bearings with the impact. Also when installing the clutch if the splines on the primary clutch are not lined us perfect when you hit it with the impact wrench you run risk of damaging the clutch.

Did you use the appropriate tool to remove the secondary spring? Again lots of pressure behind that spring. If not using the correct tool it is very dangerous.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts