Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I'm just new to this site and it all looks very interesting.
As the subject says I have a clutch rattle (it's not the normal axle clatter). The fella who serviced it used normal molly grease not the super sticky grizzly grease. What do you fellas think? has he buggered something up or does it just need the right grease in it?
Peter

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I'm not sure it is supposed to rattle even with no grease. Did it rattle before you had it serviced? I've heard some guys have opened up the clutch to find there was no grease in it but there was no noise to indicate this.

Oh, and welcome to the forum Frank.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Dr Frank, welcome to the site mate!

I have never heard of the rattle either, sound like another problem to me!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I opened mine up to find absolutely no grease in it and the O-ring missing. there was no rattle or noise to indicate this, I was just installing the dalton clutch kit and found it in this condition. sounds like something loose, did they torque the nut on to the right specs?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Like florida said ya better check your nuts!! Maybe a weight fell out of place when installing the clutch. Does it work like normal? Regardless you should not get any rattle so I would check it out.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Welcome to the forum Doctor Frank, I don't have any experience with clutches yet but that definitley doesn't sound right. Your's is the first I have ever heard of a clutch rattling. I frequent about 8 different sites from time to time. I wouldn't be riding it like that until you have it checked out, that could end up costing you some large bills? Everything I have read about clutches and Grizzlies is to use the Grizzly grease from Yamaha only. Good luck......Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
If your nuts are making noise you have more problems than we can help you with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pulled it appart today myself and found a lot of wear in the four u shaped locating bushes and a little wear on the other components. new grizz grease has improved things it will be ok till it gets to noisy to bear (grizzly bear) hehehe.
I'll find out tommorow if I can buy parts seperate or I have to get the whole clutch pack.
By the way my machine is a 2003 model with 750 hours on it and 11500 kilometers. It has never had a busted CV only the occasional leaky boot and I have never had any mechanical problem. Motor is original and goes as hard as the day I got it. I think a bit of wear in the clutch pack after that many kays and with the amount of times I,ve filled the trannie with mud and water I expect some wear.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Dr...you have swamped the machine several times and this is the first time you went into the clutch for maintenance?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep thats right never had a problem just drained the water out of the trannie but what happened was the bike all of a sudden wouldn't go over 53 kays an hour because mud had built up and wouldn't let the pully move. Anyway lesson learn't. this is probbably why there is so much wear. I'll be doing it a lot more often now. greasing up that is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Grease it up and drive it till it gets unbearable, any good grease will do, my 2005 Griz with over 5000kms is under water most months so I do pull the clutch and clean and regrease it quite often, never had any problems. I use good quality moly grease which is still far cheaper than the Yam grease. Good luck - Grizzlyspain

1 - 12 of 12 Posts