Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends and I are planning a trip down to West Virginia to ride the in Hattfield McCoy trail system. We're going to be there for a week and according to my friend who went last year, he said he never even used 4wd. We tend to ride spirited as well keeping up our speed. I had gone out and bought mud tires (26" Mst's) and although I've been happy, there are some pro's and con's. One thing, is that i'm not a mud guy. And I made through everything I do now with the new tires that I did with the stockers. Secondly, in WV you can ride on the road and my MST's are very uncomfortable on the road when speeds go over 30mph. As well, I'm considering a clutch kit to gain back the lost power, but I have reservations screwing with a stock bike. IMO it was made that way for a reason. So...I'm thinking of switching to a set of 25" ITP ATR's and was wondering for those of you running these tires what your opinion is?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Doolin, when shopping around for tyres just take a look at the Maxxis Bighorn Radials in the std 25" as well. Its worth a look, I love them as an all round 6ply tyre.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Kenda Bear Claws are anouther good all roun tire

also WV recended the riding of ATV's on secondery roads last year,it is no longer legal,however depending on the area,they may,or may not enforce it

before they initially passed the law saying it was ok,and legal,we still rode on the more rural back roads,,,but when they passed the law they did have a few guide lines,,,,helmet,valid drivers license,head,tail,and break lights,18 years or older,,,nothing real bad,and yet we still managed to screw it up

too many under age kids got killed in a short time

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Blame it on poor parenting.

As for tires, I just posted in another thread that I didn't care for the ATRs when I tried 'em on my Grizzly (I had 'em on my Rincon and loved 'em on it)... thought they were too harsh.

I have Bighorn radials on the Grizz now (25") and love 'em. I'd rather have bigger ones, 27" preferably, but oh well. These things wear SO well that they'll last probably 5000 miles. I have 1500 miles on 'em and there's barely any wear on them. My first set of tires were Blackwater XT 27" which were nice, but the Bighorns ride way nicer but don't look nearly as cool.

Clutch kit... it's a VERY good thing. Keep in mind that any product (car, ATV, bike, etc) is made one way because it's what the "most people" would prefer. It doesn't necessarily mean it's best for you. My Grizz is clutched with the EPI Outlaw kit and I love it. I lost no top end (top speed was 63 mph with the 27" Blackwaters) and got back all of my lost low-end.

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts